A Trip Through The Stars

We developed another routine.

Every week, after the Lords have their meeting, we have tea together, then we head down to the study, and I read to them.

I wish we could do it more often, but Donna says she still has her work. I'm still grateful for the time I get to spend with Donna and Lady Angie, even though I find myself craving more. I barely see her the rest of the week, sometimes I don't see her at all. Lady Angie still helps me with chores at least.

Last night was one of those nights, Lady Angie shared the stories of the Lord meeting over tea. Donna chimed in every now and then. She's been talking more and more often now, it really warms my heart. After tea, I read to them again. We finished Grimms tales halfway through the night, Lady Angie picked out another book for us to read. She chose the book Donna had given to me. I was excited to read it again. Lady Angie seemed excited too. Donna, I'm not quite sure. She didn't outwardly react, but she listened intently anyways.

As I cleaned today, I thought back on last night. Those nights were my favourite. I always look forward to them now. I'd do anything to have that happen every night.

I had asked Donna during one of our tea parties if I could empty out the boxes in the halls upstairs. She said it was fine, and so that was my task for today. I had moved the stacks of books on top of the boxes downstairs, and arranged them on the bookshelf in the dining room. I dusted them, lined them up perfectly, and smiled at the start of my hard work. Today was going to be a very long day.

I turned around, and there was a tall figure standing behind me.

I jumped back into the bookcase, and yelped in surprise. After a second look at the figure I could see, it was Donna.

"Oh gosh, it's only you. I didn't hear you coming, scared the living shit out of me," I chuckled as I stood up straight. I don't think I've ever stood this close to Donna before. She usually kept her distance, unless we were sitting down. She's taller than I thought. I'm a measly 5'5, she must be at least 5 or 6 inches taller than me. My chuckle vanished, I looked up at her, literally, and gulped back the intimidation I felt.

"Oh, sorry," she talked slowly, quietly, and with a slight stutter. Why does she sound so nervous?

"I wanted to he-," she paused, for only a moment, "I wanted to give you an extra chore"

"oh?," please let me clean things downstairs, "of course Donna, whatever you'd like". I smiled, as if that would help. She stood silent, twisting her fingers within each other.

"Could you, maybe, do laundry?"

"sure, I don't mind. I can wash your clothes along with mine."

She didn't say anything else, she only nodded and walked away.

An hour later, a basket of clothes appeared in front of the lift. I clocked my head, how come I didn't hear it? I say this time and time again, that thing is old, and loud. I should hear it from all corners of this house.

I shrugged it off, that's a problem for future me. I was getting through a second box from upstairs, but if Donna wants the laundry done now, then I'll do it now. The boxes have waited so long already, it'll be fine of they wait just a bit longer.

I grabbed my own basket from upstairs, and headed to the washroom. With Winter already here, it was the best place I could find for washing clothes. There was a bucket and washboard set up here, I've been using it to wash my own clothes. This might be seen as weird, but I actually really enjoy doing laundry. It's relaxing. I can just sit there, wash everything one at a time, and let my mind wander.

I started with Donna's clothes, it only makes sense to put her first, as her maid. Her basket was full of black fabric, much like mine. Although, she has a couple splashes of white here and there. I'll have to start with those. I dug through and picked out the first white garment. It was a simple blouse. It looks fancy. I felt something telling me to examine t further, and so I did. I looked at the stitch lines: