Chapter One - Nyx's First Smile

I watched as Nesta thrust forward, driving her sword into Emerie's own. Metal whispered as it collided, and she panted, wiping sweat from her forehead. In a separate ring, Gwyn fought against another priestess, using her own sword to slice the air in two before ducking out of range from her opponent's counter-swing. 

But just as Nesta and Emerie were about to strike again, Cassian clapped his hands, signalling the end of training. The trainees instantly halted their movements. 

Gone was the deafening sound of clanging metal. Now, only heavy breathing.

The three Valkyries strolled past, heading for the water fountain. As Nesta passed by, Cassian leaned forward to lightly slap her ass, eliciting an eye roll from the former and a satisfied male chuckle. 

I inclined my head to the trio and said to Cassian, "You've taught them well." 

Nesta smirked as she swallowed. "Don't inflate his ego too much. Or else his head might fall off his shoulders."

Gwyn and Emerie snickered. But then the pair of them bid their farewells, with the former sending a sweet smile Azriel's way as they vacated the rooftop. Cassian waved, dismissing the other priestesses. Only Nesta remained. And I rolled my eyes as she swagged over to Cassian to toy with a strand of his dark shoulder-length hair. They stared into each other's eyes, love and lust mingling. 

I nearly gagged at the sight. "At least wait until the rest of us are gone."

Cassian pulled back. Not shifting his gaze from Nesta's, he said, "I think you and Az might be secretly into that sort of thing." 

I shot him a particularly vulgar gesture just as Az appeared beside me, swept in his usual array of shadows. Before I could fire back a retort, Nesta stepped away and said, "Feyre asked me to visit." 

There was a moment of silence as Cassian and his mate stared at each other, no doubt conversing through their mind link. Then, the former nodded and looked at me. 

"Mor, can you winnow her over?" 

I shrugged. "Sure." Nesta offered a curt nod in gratitude, to which I smiled. Reaching for her sweaty hand, I conjured the image of my High Lady's estate to mind.  And winnowed away. 

*****

Appearing in the living room, I take note of everyone's positions, with Rhys perched on his usual armchair and Feyre, sprawled across the adjacent couch, a sleeping Nyx atop her chest. 

Slumping into the opposite armchair, I beam at them both. "Morning."  

As if in response, the heir to the Night Court gurgled as he rolled over. My nephew. 

Rhysand, his father, chuckled and leaned forward to kiss Feyre on the cheek. She yawned and then offered, "Would you like to hold him?" 

Before I could respond, Cassian winnowed into the room, an arm draped around his mate's shoulders. He gave a mock bow to his High Lord and Lady, and then in a loud booming voice announced, "Top of the morning." 

Such commotion had the two-week-old baby stirring awake. And wailing for his mother. Letting out an exhausted sigh, Feyre began rubbing Nyx's back in gentle, soothing circles, and Rhys shot a glare the General's way. The latter shrugged in apology and then threw himself onto the remaining armchair, pulling Nesta onto his lap. Despite his irreverent attitude, I knew Rhys noted the guilt in Cassian's eyes, just as I could see the forgiveness mirrored in my cousin's own.

Once settled again, Feyre handed my nephew over to me and I peered at his sleeping face, cooing softly. Cassian shot Rhys a devilish grin. "That one's going to create so much trouble."

Nesta snorted. "No. He will be the one following you into trouble, Cass."

Cassian leaned back in his chair. "I'm definitely the favourite Uncle."

Nyx rustled again and I planted a soft kiss on his cheek. He instantly stopped fussing. And as I pulled back, the swaddled baby opened his star-kissed eyes, courtesy of Rhys. I smiled at my nephew, and kissed his other cheek, eliciting a gurgle followed by a reciprocal smile from the baby. 

Feyre gasped. "That's Nyx's first smile."

Tears brimmed my eyes even as I shot an arrogant look Cassian's way. But the General was focussed entirely on Nyx, transfixed by the sleeping baby. 

Feyre said, "Looks like Nyx has made his own choice of favourites."

My answering smile could have lit up the entirety of Velaris. 

Hey Feysand shippers,

(I'm assuming y'all are Feysand shippers). 

I hope you enjoyed the first chapter and all the upcoming ones. Have a fabulous day! 

Farewell for now.