Chapter Four - Helion's Languid Grace

I spent the next few weeks staying up as late as my exhausted body would allow before falling to sleep and dreaming of the smile, the laugh that intoxicating scent belonged to. The recurring dream grew in clarity, bending me to its will as I increasingly lost precious sleep and sanity over it. 

But today I awoke still, body not shaking as it had for the past month. Last night, I'd dreamt of blinding lights and deafening music pounding my ears, of dancing and laughter, and all things light-hearted and carefree. The girl had looked right at me, her stunning, mystical ocean eyes striking me spellbound. And yet, she hadn't acknowledged or seen me at all, simply glancing away, unaware of the golden-brown eyes staring back. 

And then, with her lovely golden hair, awe-capturing blue eyes, and fair skin, round ears had come into view. The girl was human. 

I launched out of bed, rushing to the bathroom. My knees collided with the cold, tiled floor, my hands hugging the toilet bowl as I threw up the previous night's dinner. I didn't bother holding my golden hair back, eyes wide as the image of the human girl flashed in my mind. 

It reminded me of Andromache. Her dark skin and brown hair, her full lips, and soft smiles that lit up the entirety of Velaris. Or at least, they used to. Of all the people I'd dated in the following centuries, none had compared to my former lover's compassion and grace. Her light-hearted nature and alluring presence, her neverending forgiveness and liveliness. 

I heaved deep breaths, still crouched over the bathroom toilet. 

She had been wild and untamed, like Ellias but in human form. And ever since, no one had caught my eye, my heart, my soul, the way she had. At least, not enough to make me want to try harder, to live to the fullest. 

I groaned, running a hand through my hair. I'd decided yesterday that the dreams had gone on far enough, and planned to visit the Day Court today, to ask Helion subtly about what in hell was going on. 

I didn't have time to explain to any of my friends where I was going, even as I slipped past the Town House kitchen and winnowed away. I knew it would piss off Azriel to no end, and that he'd spend the rest of the day worrying whether I was safe. I didn't even warn the snoring Helion as I appeared outside his bedroom, and caught a glimpse of the colourful hues decorating the sunrise before knocking on his door. 

I waited near to a minute, then raised my hand to knock again just as the door opened to reveal  Helion rubbing his sleep-musked amber eyes. Despite the early-morning start for the High Lord of the Day Court, he still looked as stunning as ever, the sun personified. 

Helion stretched his arms, arching his back as he offered me a lazy grin. In a deep, sleep-kissed voice, he purred, "Good morning, Mor." He winked. "Here for a second round?"

I smacked his arm and he chuckled. 

I crossed my arms and said, "I'm here to ask you some questions."

Helion rose his brows as he swung the bedroom door wide open, gesturing me to come in. I strolled in, nodding my thanks. Closing the door behind him, Helion moved with ethereal, languid grace and power towards a small table. I followed after him, my face revealing nothing. 

Helion pulled one of the two chairs tucked into the table out, and sat in it, leaning back with his legs crossed. He inclined his head to the remaining chair closest to the door, silently requesting me to sit, too. 

I obliged, playing with the ends of my let-loose hair as I offered Helion a tentative smile. I said in a low but polite voice, "I need..." I trailed off, considering. "I need clarification on something that has been happening to a close friend of mine. It's been bothering her quite a bit and she wants answers."