Chapter Eight - Feyre's Lucky Mate

The Mother answered my desperate, unending prayers the next night and granted me sleep almost instantly. But rather than experiencing a quiet, peaceful rest, that human girl entered my dreams again, disrupting my plans for a dreamless starry night.

Alexandra leaned back against the teal-painted wall of her bedroom and sat upright, snuggling comfortably underneath the bedcovers. Her legs were tucked into her chest and she rested her chin on the top of her kneecaps, deep in thought as she listened to a female voice that seemed to be coming from a rectangular brick on her pillow.

I watched it from above, wondering what sort of enigmatic magic was causing the inanimate brick-like object to speak. To my luck, the girl answered my queries, as if she could hear me, sense me.

Her mental shields were openly free and she unknowingly sent a thought through to me. She whispered and giggled, I love books. I love audiobook, too. I love the way they make me feel. A ghost of a smile shone on her face and I gaped, soaking in the extravagant light illuminating from it.

Considering that 'audiobook' meant 'listen to a book', I assumed it was what the girl was doing with the brick. As time flew by and we listened to the talking female brick some more, nostalgia hit me like a blow to the head. As if somewhere deep, deep down, I recognised the setting and characters that the brick described.

An unfamiliar feeling tugged at my insides, making me uneasy. It seemed to scream at me, Trust your instincts. You know this place. You know these people.

Even as I followed its commands and tried to use my Truth power to decipher where I may have met these people and places before, it was to no avail. I didn't recognised the characters' names; they sounded too human. I didn't recognise the names of the places described; they sounded too ordinary compared to Prythian's.

Until it mentioned a sparkling, glowing river and I started. The girl's smile grew, enlightening her entire face and I realised that the names and titles of the spoken book may have been different to what I knew, but the actual people and locations themselves remained the same as Prythian's.

The brick said, "A broad, winding river sparkling like deepest sapphire that flows through and the city of Northlight and sank into the sea gulf of the city. It is loitered by ships with sails of varying shapes, making it navigable, and two Palaces are located on the southern side of the river with another two on the northern."

I considered what I knew of the Sidra River and how similar the two rivers sounded. Then my mind drifted elsewhere, thinking about how emotive the brick spoke, as if it had a heart with genuine feelings. It was better than what most Faeries could manage, if I did say so myself.

But if this kind of technology had already advanced in the human girl's world, I considered the idea that even if the girl was reading a book about our world, it didn't mean I was any closer to discovering why she came into my head in the first place.

It made me less certain that the world was indeed set in Velaris. Especially since the timeline the audiobook was set in corresponded to events that already occurred in Prythian weeks ago. That is, Nyx hadn't been born. Though there had been mention of a baby, and a character described like the compassionate, caring Feyre was revealed to be with child.

Towards the end of the night, my shock and confusion only grew as everything I had once thought and felt about the girl and her human race flying out the window. Because through an eccentric, talking brick, both Alexandra and I were connected through the fictional world of a book.

A book that could be mine, be my life. Quite literally.

~~~~~

Disregarding my plans to spend the entire day working, the following morning, a mission formed in my mind to visit Athelwood again. Though this time, I would not only ride and care for Ellia and my other five horses, but also explore the extensive library there as well.