Chapter Twelve - Eris the Wreck of the Hespris

After a night of dancing, drinking and whooping Cassian's ass at a game of cards, a wave of fatigue hit me rather quickly. It was well after midnight before I stumbled back to my rooms and fell into a swift sleep.

But no sooner had I started to drift off, my eyes reopened to reveal a room of pale white surrounding me. I took it in, circling the area from my position in the centre of it all. It was likely a dream, a fatigue-induced figment of my imagination, and yet deep within my bones I felt it to be real. An inner voice sang at me to take a closer look, to dive in deeper, so I did.

Well, I was right. It was simply a white room, with whisps of very pale-grey mist curling off every edge of the room giving it a cloudy sky-like complexion. And I was about to reach out my hand to see if I could feel the mist, to see if I'd fall right off the edge, but a deep, familiar voice called out to me.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you."

I whirled, steady on my feet as I took in the figure that had just appeared in the peculiar white room several metres in front of me. "Helion." High Lord of the Day Court. 

Following a quick curtsy and answering bow, I asked, "What's happening?" 

Helion raised a dark brow, as if surprised I did not know, and looked me over from head to toe. I was dressed in one of my favourite red gowns--this one revealing a fair amount of bust at the front with a slit running down the side of my right leg--and I wore a pair of high-arched silver high-heels. 

Before either of us could speak, a creaking door sounded. We scanned the room, searching for the source of the noise and found it almost immediately. At the back of the room--if one could call it as such--a thin rectangular outline was etched into the white expanse of the walls. 

A door, then. 

It was ajar. And resting on the white doorknob was a delicate, fair-skinned hand. Moments later, a head emerged, followed by a face and body that I recognised instantly. 

There was only one person who wore a baggy white shirt that ran to mid-thigh. Only one person who wore shorts, which I had only recently discovered to exist. Only one person who deigned to go barefoot outside of the house. 

But it was those stunning ocean eyes that had my breath hitching. 

For every year since I loved and lost Andromache, I prayed to the Mother and Cauldron that one day I'd meet someone who made me feel the way she did. For every star that streamed past on Starfall, I prayed. For every night I spent drinking, dancing and stuffing myself with food, I prayed and prayed that the Mother might answer my unspoken dream.

I just hadn't expected my dream to be answered quite so literally. 

I turned to glance at Helion side-on as he now stood beside me, just as shocked at the human girl standing before us. Like me, he's using mask of quiet assessment to disguise the true feelings bubbling beneath the surface. But beneath that strong exterior, beneath that immense power and ability, I saw the softness in his eyes, the shock in his fond gaze. 

The girl closed the door behind her, and I watched the dark rectangular outline of the door fade into the background again. Invisible, once more. 

Alexandra's voice was warm and perky as she chirped, "Sup!"

The primal urge to launch forward and take my mate in a tight embrace hit me like a thousand knives. It took me a second to suppress that instinct, and yet another to realise that Helion was trying to hold himself back all the same with his clenched jaw and hands in fists. 

Disrupting the stunned silence, I asked, "You know who this is?"

Helion didn't look my way as he nodded in reply, too entranced by the utterly beguiling Alexandra—my mate. I clenched and unclenched my fists, the urge to protect flooding my veins.