Chapter Six - Emerie's Core Work

Embedded in a world of flying dragons and powerful sorcery, I engorged myself in another world. Curled in a cushioned armchair at the House of Wind Library, I left behind the whirling turmoil in my mind, left behind the unwavering desire to hear that spirited voice again. I left behind the dread pooling in my gut at the thought of another fitful sleep, and ignored my confusion about why the human girl crept insistently through my dreams.

Indulging deeply in the classic novel I read, I turned the page but didn't look up as Emerie's light footsteps sounded down the hall. I sensed her head pop round the corner, peering into the alcove I sat alone in.

I continued reading but smiled secretively as she asked, "Good book?"

I made a mental marker at my place on the page and closed the book. An invisible force tugged on my hand, trying to pull me out of the fictional world filled with sky-high buildings and coloured, metal vehicles that move on their own accord. It tugged again, stealing me from a world filled with a different sort of magic, the kind that didn't require elemental control or inner, magical pits.

I nodded at the female Illyrian, noting the way the leather uniform accentuated her curves. But I didn't give it another thought as I said, "Training went well, then?"

Emerie gushed, obviously noticing my unruffled gaze as I looked her up and down. Not to admire, but to assess.

I observed, "Your muscles have grown since the Bloodright. Those baby Illyrian bastards must be working you hard."

She gave a light chuckle at my nickname for Cass and Az. A small smile remained on her face as she said, "One way or another, they are."

I rose my brows in a suggestive manner and heat rose to Emerie's cheeks. She stuttered, "We've been doing lots of core work to train our muscles."

My brows rose so high they reached the top of my forehead.

Her face grew impossibly redder as she blurted out, "What I mean is, they've been running us all hot and sweaty every session."

I couldn't contain myself anymore, and burst into laughter, a smile gracing my face. Emerie appeared displeased, face and ears as red as the ruby sunsets in the Day and Dawn Court. But amidst my sudden outbreak, she soon joined in alongside it, the both of us laughing ourselves hoarse and our stomachs sore.

Still chuckling, I managed to gasp out, "Damn, Emerie. Two male Illyrians and a female Faerie making you sore all in one morning. Whatever are you to do?"

She grinned mischievously and entered the space, strolling over and plonking herself on the couch opposite to my armchair. "I have a couple of ideas in mind."

I winked. "You should invite Helion. He'd like that."

Emerie rolled her eyes. "According to the books I've read, my muscles wouldn't be the only thing aching by the end of the night."

I tilted my head, eyes full of light-hearted humour. "Who said it had to be at night?"

Emerie opened her mouth, then closed it. Her eyes widened, as if she only just realised where the conversation had lead, and what she'd just admitted about her reading habits.

I shook with silent laughter as I said, "I'm joking, Emerie." I sobered a bit and made sure to look her in the eyes as I said, "You're free to do what you want with whom you want."

She blushed again, as if it were the only expression she could manage in my presence. My smile softened at that, and I changed the subject.

I asked, "How have you been?"

She shrugged. "Good. Despite the sore muscles, training has been quite the experience. It's helped me stand my ground against hostile customers that visit my store."

I frowned, my smile fading. "How's business going?"

She nodded once. "Better now that people know of my associations with the High Lord and his Inner Circle. I think some of them respect me more for becoming a Valkyrie Warrior." She crossed her arms and looked to the side. "Most are angry that my friends and I proved them wrong."

She looked back at me, gaze unblinking as she said, "But either way, business has been growing and I've been receiving more customers each week."

My eyes narrowed and I crossed my own arms, all joy and laughter within me dissipating. "You should be treated with fairness and respect, regardless of who you are or who you hang out with."

Emerie smiled at me, but it didn't quite meet her eyes. She tried, her smile soft but unfaltering, "I'm a conscientious objector of the status quo."

I shook my head. "It's not right."

The Illyrian sighed. "I know. But there isn't anything I can do."

I thought the same but offered, "If you ever need help, you need only ask."

She smiled for real this time, and nodded her thanks. I smiled back and opened my book. I kept my steady eyes on her as I watched her she spend the next couple of seconds exploring the bookshelves built into the walls of the alcove. Her fingertips trailed over the spines of the books as she scanned the titles, probably searching for something of particular interest.

I silently observed her as her fingers ceased their gliding and she settled on a book with a ruby-red spine. Picking it out, she waltzed back over to the couch with the same grace only immortals could muster. Although, it still didn't compare to the High Lord of the Day Court's ethereal, languid glide.

She perched on the couch again and shuffled into a comfortable position. Once settled, she shot me a wink so quick that any mortal wouldn't have detected it. She crossed one leg over the other and raised the book so that it covered her face.

I briefly scanned the title. Sexy, Sleepless Nights.

I rolled my shoulders back, coughing lightly. I sensed Emerie's answering smirk and refrained from snorting.

I returned to my own novel, grateful for the normalcy of the conversation and Emerie's silent but sweet company. I lost myself in the inked words lining the pages, free from Prythian and all things Fae, once more. 

Sup my fellow readers,

It's my puppy's birthday today. He's turning three! And in case you're wondering, he is small, white and fluffy. (a shih-tzu poodle)

Have a sunny day! Or a rainy day. (I like dancing and singing in the rain)

And remember, "Dreamers change the world." (from Anne with an 'E' - Netflix)

"The world will be saved and remade by the dreamers." (Sarah J Maas - Throne of Glass)

Farewell for now :-)