A Difficult Alliance

"So ye were sent off t' seek wealth beyond yer wildest dreams," Hector said with a dry chuckle. He lounged in his chair with one elbow propped on its arm. "Not plannin' to ransack Havana, were ye?"

I stared blankly at the side of my goblet, tracing its stem with one finger. Was Hector merely aiming an idle joke at Jeremy, or was this a sign that my misgivings were warranted? I wondered how much malice might simmer beneath his remarks.

Jeremy responded with a polite laugh. "Far from it, Captain. But I'm not at liberty to say more."

"No matter. I only wondered how a King's agent ended up in El Morro, needin' a pirate ship t' get him out," Hector regarded him with an ill-concealed smirk.

Jeremy's features softened into a regretful smile. "I can only say that I was acting in service to my country, and it could not be avoided."

"I'm sure ye did the best ye could," Hector replied, in a smug tone that set my teeth on edge. "As it happens, success crowned me own venture there."

"I'm sure success is no stranger to you, Captain," Jeremy replied graciously.

Hector lifted his chin and puffed out his chest. "'Tis me constant companion."

His remarks were not sitting well with me, but my best hope of avoiding a quarrel was to keep my mouth shut. Annoyed, I stirred the mashed turnips on my plate. Hector was master of a fine ship laden with gold, whilst Jeremy sat before us in rags, recently rescued from prison. Why did Hector persist in lording it over him?

Not discomfited in the slightest, Jeremy turned an appreciative eye towards me. "I see you've found a skilled, experienced ally, Nina dear. Well done!" He raised his glass, gazing at me just slightly longer than necessary.

I prayed he did not notice Hector's possessive, disapproving look, but I knew Jeremy was as sharp-eyed as he was astute. I was certain he had been studying Hector's attitude towards me all evening. There was no doubt that this compliment was intended as a test.

"You credit my judgement too much," I answered. "I hope that in time, it may not be flattery when said to me, but at present, I pray you will spare my blushes and divert us with more of your wonderful stories."

To my relief, the verbal jousting proceeded no further, and Jeremy's conversation turned again to chit-chat freighted with the flattery and barbed wit that mark fashionable discourse. Rufus, Elizabeth and I made conventional replies, whilst Hector maintained an air of supreme self-assurance. Behind his satisfied, lynx-like smile, however, he seemed quite watchful.

When we had eaten, Jeremy drew back my chair with the casual grace of one long accustomed to keeping good company. He offered me his arm, and we followed Rufus and Elizabeth to the door.

"Oh, Miss Bitter!" came Hector's voice, easy and velvety. "A word with ye."

"Of course, Captain." I turned back as Jeremy hesitated.

"A private word." He gave us a broad, obliging smile. "If ye please."

Jeremy's expression did not change, but his speculative gaze moved from Hector, across the captain's day room, and finally to me. I answered his questioning look with a nod, and he departed.

Hector waved me to my chair, still smiling, though the rest of his expression was all business. "I see Mr Norrington finds ye much to his likin'," he said.

Then he leaned forward and rested his forearm on the table, holding his palm out to me. I took his hand and his fingers caressed my wrist. As we gazed at each other, he said, "What's done is done, but I expect ye t' keep no more secrets from me."