Matthew

Before we disembarked in Tortuga, I had another matter of business to conclude --- one in which Hector had shown a keen and proprietary interest. During our journey, I had written out a bill for my Messenger's expenses and composed a suitably vague narrative to go with it.

Hector had made his opinion clear. "That blasted Hervey owes me money fer me ship an' the gold he promised ye! Get every penny ye can."

Now that it was finished, I showed him my report. It asked for a great deal of money, and read in part:

"Per the King's orders, I went with Mr Norrington to Tortuga where he secured a ship to replace the Berwick. Taking me and the Spanish priest, he sailed to an island known only to himself. Here his crew dug up a quantity of gold and a strange tablet which he said was the object of his search. Then he commenced a heated argument on deck with the Spanish priest which ended with both men receiving mortal wounds.

With Mr Norrington no longer in command, the crew seized both ship and gold, abandoning me in a longboat with no provisions. After several days, I was very ill and prayed for Death to end my sufferings. But Fortune had one more hand to play, and I was sighted by a pirate ship belonging to Captain Jack Sparrow, who rescued me. From him I heard that Mr Norrington's mutinous crew was later attacked and their ship sunk by a Spanish man o' war.

At present I am much out of health, and it will be some months before I am fit for travel. Enclosed you will find my expenses for this errand, since (contrary to what you anticipated) I got no gold from Mr Norrington."

He looked it over with a hard expression and half-closed eyes. Once the corner of his mouth twitched. When he had finished, he gave it back with a quick nod. "That should do the trick."

I posted it all to Lord Hervey, and then we set out for the Faithful Bride to meet Rufus and Elizabeth---now the proud mother of a baby boy. We spent a pleasant hour exchanging news with our friends over a fine meal, and then Rufus handed over the duffel I had left with him.

"What's t' do now?" he asked. "With no ship, an' a baby comin'?"

Hector jutted his chin proudly. "While I be seekin' a proper ship, I'm thinkin' of takin' a house, so's I can engage a physician fer the lyin'-in."

I lifted an eyebrow, but Rufus nodded approvingly. "Come t' St Thomas," he said. "Many a gentleman o' fortune lives there."

Elizabeth turned to me at once. "And Rufus or Jen could manage the lying-in for you."

"Ais, Jen d' have a knack wi' babies," Rufus agreed. He turned to Hector. "If ye be away when the maidy's pains come, ye needn't worry a jot. We'd be that glad t' help 'ur."

- 0 -

A fortnight later on a sunny day in June, we settled upon a small, furnished brick house with green shutters overlooking the harbour in St Thomas. Its owner was a Dutch merchant who had returned to Amsterdam and was anxious to let the premises. The house was planned about a central passageway with wide, inviting stairs that led to a spacious landing and thence to the comfortable upstairs rooms. Although I intended to go back to sea as soon as possible, I warmed to this charming house.

On our first day as tenants, I slipped away unnoticed to our bedroom. Closing the door behind me, I set my duffel upon the bed and began rummaging through its contents. Firstly, I found my wedding band and slid it onto my finger. Then, sifting through half a dozen books, I drew out the little Spanish journal that I now recognised as Ponce de Leon's log.

Frowning, I riffled its pages and then scanned each one methodically. But there was no denying what I had feared all along: the entries stopped at Cuidad Blanca. There was no record of the Santiago's arrival at the Fountain.