The Gathering Storm

As soon as we could arrange two berths, we brought our ships to the dock, rather than leave them anchored in the harbour. Most of the men lost no time in going ashore, and all were in a fever to spend their shares of the Spanish gold. Hector tasked an unlucky few with making repairs to the Medusa, refusing them shore leave until the work was done. Experience had shown him the state they would be in, once they began carousing in Tortuga.

After we had moored the Medusa, I found that her choppy movements as she bounced against the dock were making me feel unwell. By midday, I determined that going ashore and standing on solid ground might improve matters. Furthermore, I had an errand to undertake.

As I made for the gangway, I spied Elizabeth standing some distance away, and I waved to her. "I'm off to the Faithful Bride!"

She waved back, nodding. We were both keen to hear something from Mr Defoe and receive a profit from our smuggling investment.

There were very few customers present when I entered the humid, stale-smelling taproom and approached the barman. He stood with his back to me, arranging a multitude of tankards that hung on hooks from the ceiling.

"Pardon me," I said. "Have you any letters for N Bitter or E Turner?"

"Who's askin'?" he said, without turning.

"Nina Bitter."

"An' wot's it worth to 'er?" He continued fussing over the tankards, some of which had names or initials of customers carved into them.

Just then, someone coughed, and a hand was placed upon my shoulder. I turned, and was startled to find Edward Teague standing behind me. "My dear father!" I exclaimed. "How wonderful to see you!"

His cough had caught the barman's attention as well, who turned quickly to face us. "Cap'n Teague," he murmured with a deferential nod. He left the taproom at once, and returned with a thick letter which he handed to me. It looked as though a herd of goats had trampled it.

My father's dark eyes studied me, and I knew he was assessing my health and spirits. Then he gave a single nod towards the door. "This way, m'girl," he said in his low, commanding voice. With that, he led me to an establishment near the Bride, but of a more luxurious nature, called the Brass Monkey.

I soon found myself in a private room, enjoying a lavish dinner with the Keeper of the Code. His quiet, steady gaze made it difficult to believe that this was the same man whose fixed, black stare could terrify the most savage of adversaries. As we talked, I felt my confidence increase and my nerves settle. The sick feeling that had plagued me earlier also seemed to dissipate.

He had not yet spoken with Jack, and so I had much to tell him. I had just finished the story of Jeremy's missing ship, when he raised one hand and stopped me. "There's someone ye should meet," he said, rising from his chair.

He strode to the door and said something to the potboy waiting outside. I heard the boy's footsteps thumping down the stairs as he hastened to do the great Captain Teague's bidding, and shortly afterwards, there was a timid knock on the door.

"Come in, Stuffy," my father growled.

The door cracked open just wide enough to admit a short, wispy man with beady eyes and a sharp nose that gave him the air of a timid rat. He looked at my father with a mix of fear and respect.

"Stuffy's a lookout on Rediker's ship, and he's got a tale for you," said my father, then turned his gaze upon the nervous pirate. "The one about the cutter. Out with it." He nudged a chair with the toe of his boot.

Stuffy sat down gratefully and cleared his throat. "I'm always on duty for the first dog watch," he began. "An' me watch was near over when it happened." He wiped his nose with his sleeve.