Shattered

It was as if the floor had fallen away under my feet. Anguished shock broke over me like some monstrous wave crashing ashore, and I stood motionless, drenched in betrayal. But in the next instant, my father's temper, heretofore dormant, seemed to explode within me.

Baring my teeth, I lunged at the woman and grabbed her by the hair. "Get out!" I shouted. I dragged her to her feet and shoved her into the day room. Snatching her petticoats off the bed, I turned to Hector with murder in my eyes and pointed at the woman.

"Pay her!" I demanded. "This damned well isn't her fault!"

As Hector made haste to give her some coins, I strode across the day room. I threw open the door, and flung her petticoats out upon the deck. By now, I was shaking with fury.

"Keep moving!" I ordered her.

She held the coins nonchalantly in one hand. "I'm not leavin' 'ere before I've dressed," she sniffed.

"You danced on that table without being dressed," I put my hand on the hilt of my scimitar and felt the muscles in my shoulders begin to tighten, like an animal about to spring. "Get out. Now." Hector watched from across the room, keeping utterly still. He was gazing at me as though a wild lion had let itself into his quarters, and one false move might prove fatal to him.

The woman departed with a smirk and I slammed the door after her.

Hector made a few attempts at clearing his throat, and I realised he was far from sober. "I thought ye were at the Faithful Bride," he mumbled.

"And I thought you were true to me," I snapped, my eyes flashing fire. "Apparently, we're both wrong."

"I know yer wonderin'-," he began, but I interrupted.

"Indeed I am. I'm wondering what you do while I'm in London, since this is what you do when I'm right here."

"Damn London!" he shouted suddenly. "That be all ye want - to go back to London so's ye can gallivant with rakehells!"

My temper soared to match his. "Gallivant with rakehells? How? By escaping from prison? Or having the King throw a smelly old wig at me?"

"I should never have agreed t' yer joinin' the court!" Red-faced, he began lecturing me loudly. "They're hangers-on; every man-jack of 'em lookin' fer a quick romp with a silly moll."

"How dare you!" I shouted. Narrowing my eyes, I went on in steely tones. "I doubt not that you've amply consoled yourself in Tortuga, sir. And the men you call hangers-on are poets, diplomats, philosophers . . ."

"I call 'em what they are, madam!" he bellowed. "If you're too bewitched by the glitter t' see it, 'tis no concern o' mine." He began to pace about the room.

"If I've been bewitched by anyone it was you!" I glared at him, my hands on my hips. "But no longer!"

Hector stopped moving, and watched as I marched to the door and turned to face him.

He took a step towards me. "Don't you dare follow me," I said in a quiet, threatening voice, wanting to put a million miles between myself and Hector Barbossa. I walked out, slamming the door.

At first, I had a momentary fear that he would come after me and begin another row or worse, but thankfully, he did not. There must have been something in my voice, an echo of my father, perhaps. Whatever it was, I suspected that he didn't quite dare to cross me.

Tears stung my eyes as I seized my duffel and left the Medusa, not caring who saw me or what they might think. My emotions overran me, swirling like a storm tide, and my only thought was to find refuge. Fortunately, everyone was still in town; the ships and dock were deserted. Without pausing to think, I quickly boarded the Pearl.