A Change in the Weather

"'E don't seem inclined t' be caught," Ragetti said. We were both peering up at the Pearl's topgallant yard, where Jack the monkey perched, staring down at us. He had eluded Ragetti's best efforts, and I couldn't see that I would fare any better. Jack was being a bloody nuisance. However, what with Hector's orders to catch him, and my brother's offer to shoot him, I really had no choice.

"Thank you, Ragetti." I surveyed the rigging and rallied my dwindling patience. "I'll just go up---again---and see if I can coax him."

I pulled off my boots and climbed up to the crosstrees. With one hand on the rigging, I slowly extended my other arm towards Hector's pet, murmuring reassurance.

Jack edged away.

My temper snapped. "Devil freeze your guts," I hissed, and made a quick lunge at him. He scampered off, and I nearly fell. I gasped, recovered my balance, and looked down. The deck seemed a mile below my feet.

Jack regarded me with bright eyes from the far end of the yard. The prospect of breaking my neck loomed before me, followed by an image of my widowed husband being consoled in his grief by the dancing woman in Tortuga. My efforts to recapture Jack were getting me nowhere, so instead, I decided to try and wait him out. Sitting on the crosstrees, my arms wrapped tightly about the mast, I gazed at Cuidad Blanca.

The shore was bustling with activity and shouts as our lads repeatedly loaded the boats with treasure and ferried it to our ships. I could make out Hector and my brother, moving here and there as they both issued orders. Occasionally, Hector would make a quick, angry gesture at Jack, signalling some dispute between them, but as long as no weapons were drawn I judged that matters were proceeding smoothly.

Jeremy was working with a small group of men at some distance from the others. Even from afar he looked anxious as they wielded their shovels, and I knew, just as surely as if I could see through the sands, that his efforts would be for naught. 

It was a sad state of affairs. I had looked forward to helping with his mission before I had guessed its purpose, but now I wanted him to fail. We had to get away from Cuidad Blanca before he realised he was digging in the wrong place.

My eyes turned inexorably towards that green hill, the place that might have been dedicated to the Carib deities. I thought of the birds and felt the pit of my stomach drop. Vultures, Hector had insisted last night. Nothing out of the ordinary. And with that, he had seemed to dismiss the topic. But Hector never stopped working things out, even in his dreams, as I soon discovered.

When I had awakened in the morning, he was already lying on his side, watching me with a smile. "Good mornin', sweet missus," he said, taking my hand and kissing my fingers. "I've a proposal for ye."

I brushed the sleep from my eyes and nestled against him. "Regarding?"

"All yer present difficulties," he replied grandly, folding his arms about me. "Beginnin' with that hill. Ye must not return to it. If ye do, 'twill only rouse Norrington's suspicious nature."

"I know he isn't blind to my movements," I said. "But I've promised to help Maroto."

"Ah! But there be no reason fer haste," he replied. "Let Norrington finish his business an' go back empty-handed. Once we be rid of him, we can return when we please, find the map, an' destroy it." He brushed a few stray hairs back from my face and smiled sweetly. "If that still be yer wish," he added.

Hector's plan tempted me mightily. The birds had struck me with horror. I loathed the prospect of going anywhere near that hill. If I could delay for a while, perhaps I could avoid it altogether. And yet, something felt wrong.