Chapter 12 - Lines in the Lab

Kira POV

Seesaw: I'm in the lab. Come see me before you go so we can talk.

It felt like when you have done something wrong and you are just waiting to get in trouble for it. I wished I had put my dress on like last time so that he might be a little more forgiving if he thought I was cute. He was probably going to end things before they could even properly begin. Now that Namjoon knew, he was probably worried about what that would mean and is done with his pity party for me. I started trying to mentally prepare myself for the dumping but wasn't sure how to handle it. I needed to keep it professional since I would still have to see him whenever I was meeting Jin. Head held high, I remind myself.

I put the lab code in and take a deep breath to try and calm myself before I enter the room. I could already feel the sweat forming on my hands as I held the cold metal handle in my hand.

This time, he was sitting on the sofa instead of at his desk, which threw me off. His eyes widen when they land on me walking in.

"KD, come sit here." He looks tired. I guess it's for the best if he ends things. At least then, he won't deprive himself to try and keep up with all of his work and trying to see me. I drop my bag at the door so that it's easy to pick up on my way out and head over to sit beside him on the sofa.

"I know what you are going to say, and I just want you to know that I appreciate all that you have done for me since I joined the company. Don't feel bad, and I will still be professional going forward." I try to keep it brief so that I can get out of here and go home to cry.

"Why would I feel bad? Wait, did you think I was going to break up with you?" he starts to chuckle and pulls me in for a hug.

"Silly, KD. I just wanted to talk about what Namjoon said to you and to make sure you weren't worried. I don't know what he said but you don't have to worry about it. I will admit I was caught off guard when he asked me about it, so I need to speak to him, but it at least got me thinking about what we need to do going forward."

The relief I felt that I still had him to lean on and spend time with was like a weight off that I didn't realise I had been holding all day.

"Oh, thank goodness! I was psyching myself up to come in here convinced that now people knew, then you would have to keep your distance, and I didn't want to feel alone again."

"I won't leave you alone. I'm sorry you felt like that for even a second, KD." He pats my hair to comfort me, and I lean in to his touch.

"However, we do need to talk some stuff through." he says a little resigned as though he knows it isn't going to be straightforward.

I make the most childlike whine of disagreement, "I don't wanna! Let's just cuddle and watch a movie." I smile and try to get him to melt at my sweetness.

"After, okay? Firstly, even if Namjoon knows, it doesn't mean the other members do. He has my trust and won't tell them unless they either find out by themselves like he has or if I give him permission to. So we need to decide if we want the members to know. Secondly, the staff don't know, and it's probably best to keep it that way considering what you are employed to be here for. I think it would put you in a difficult position, so I would rather protect you while I can. Agreed?" He asks, waiting for my response to see if I have any objections.