Prologue

So thanks to a comment in a group, an idea, and several nudges by some very stubborn birds, I am now posting my very first story. It's unbetaded and only the prologue but here it is Enjoy!

Sang has always been able to see spirits, the one and only time she ever mentioned and acknowledged this gift, her mother punished her severely. That was the first time Sang was forced to drink vinegar to keep from "telling such horrible and vile stories". She couldn't talk for a week and had been forced to kneel on the floor for the whole day. The 7 year old vowed never to mention it again to anyone, so she kept to herself afraid she might slip and get punished again.

It was harder to ignore THEM though, they were everywhere, the park, the gas station, even school wasn't safe from wandering souls. They seemed to sense she was different and would watch her,waiting for the smallest hint she could see them then they would swoop down on her and demand she help them, to give a loved one a message, or beg her to tell someone how they died. It was terrifying and so she welcomed the solitude her mother forced onto her and her older sister Marie, barely letting them out of the house unless it was for school.

There was one spirit though, who Sang didn't mind at all, in fact she would call this spirit her one and only friend, the only one who seemed to care about her. Elizabeth or Liza as Sang called her,had beautiful long blonde hair, bright green eyes and a kind smile, she was young around 20 and had died during child birth. She never begged Sang to find anyone or deliver any messages,she seemed content to just have some company and would help chase away the mobbing spirits when they became to much. Liza would stay with her when she was forced to kneel for hours and kept her entertained with some story about a neighbor she just "happened" to over hear or come across, glancing angrily at the clock as time passed. She was not quiet about her hate of Sang's mother she would curse and glare at her anytime she was anywhere near the woman,though Sang figured that was because she never agreed with her punishments, though she would get this strange look on her face whenever her dad was around, a mixture of sadness, anger and longing that always left Sang curious as to what her friend was thinking. Liza was very closed up about her life, unlike other spirits who would constanly talk about their previous lives, so Sang tried not to ask too many questions afraid her friend would leave.

Liza had just shown up one day when Sang was five years old, she had been confused as to why she was the only one that could see the strange pale people, and had tried talking to one of them only to be surrounded with shouting, pleading spirits. The young girl was scared and had curled up on the ground crying when the beautiful women shooed the scary ones away. She crouched down, gave her a smile and promised that everything would be okay. Liza barely left her after that, guiding the girl as best she could, explaining about her gift, becoming her confidant and protector.

There were Other spirits that truly scared Sang though, she had only come into contact with One briefly, he had came up to her with a sinister grin and evil look in his red eyes, darkness oozed off him seeming to outline his entire being. Sang had frozen terrified to move and unable to look away from the evil spirit as it desended upon her. He had gotten close enough to touch her , though spirits had never been able to do that before, he had risen his hand as if he was going to stroke her face and opened his mouth to speak,but before she found out what he was going to say , Liza appeared and seemed to tackle the Other spirit both of them dissapering in a whirl of whispy smoke. Sang had been worried sick about her friend, her dreams plagued by evil red eyes and cruel laughs. Liza did not reapper for four days, and when she did ,she explained about the Others. The dark spirits who had been cruel in their lives, only to become more evil and darker in their death. They would focus on the innocent spirits, taunting them and corrupting them. Their favorite victims though were the Gifted. They loved to terrorize them, feeding off the Gifted one's emotions, the more terrified or angry they were the more power it seem to give Them.

That day was the first time she had heard of the Gifted, she had heard of psychics and the like before but she had never truly given much thought about others able to do what she did. Having always considered herself a freak, it was a shock to learn not only were there other Meduims out there (the proper name of her Gift), there were also people with other abilities and gifts out there as well. It was a relief to know she wasn't as alone as she had thought, and was anxious to meet another Gifted. Liza had smiled and told her that the Gifted were drawn to each other and that she would more than likely meet at least one in her life.

Not long after Sang's 15th birthday the family moved to Charleston,California where a mother's undying love would change things forever.