Part 13: 27th OCTOBER

"It has never been reliable!" Malefic hissed as I poured over the book in front of me. I had been reading up on the fact the Witches of Salem had partaken in the eating of Ergots bread, in which they foresaw their own demise. Of course they escaped persecution and escaped, Goody Good and Goody Osbourne were not so lucky.

"I won't be taking the Ergots breaod Malefic, I will take Myristica Fragrans. Much safer and the same desired effect. Plus I won't be takimg large quantites so should only last a few hours!" I argued back. Malefic for a creature of darkness he was always concerned like a parent.

He was right though, witches hadn't used that for centuries as it just wasn't a trust worthy way to divine anything.

I flicked through the pages of my book and then slammed it shut, angry with my lack of progress.
Reaching for my mug I went downstairs to make a cuppa when I heard a floorboard creak. I paused and silently crept up the hall as Malefic ran ahead. He may be a cat but his true for was something horrifying. Malefic was outside the door to Thomas's study. He was staring inside tail a twitching, and he nodded to me.to open it. was open and I pushed the door open to see Mr Gorman there.

"Hey, I didn't think you were around today?" I beamed, genuinely happy to see him.
"I wasn't and I... well curiosity got the better of me and I wanted to see what you did with the place really! The er... study hasn't changed."

"No, I decided in the end to keep it as is. Just tonrestore and poish it up. Besides it's a great way for people to inmerse themselves in the book and the history. I expect this place to be like Comic Con this time next year!"

I let out a little giggle at that last comment, imagining people cosplaying as Thomas, I didn't know whether he would be insulted or impressed.

"Yes this room always intrigued me so, good call. When my dad looked after this place, he swore he saw a man in here, swore it was Sir Thomas himself, ha! Wasn't though... my dad liked a pint or two bless him. Still, I am glad this worked out. Especially since it has had a bad reputation."

"Ah yes, the murders." I agreed.

"No, not the murders, they were over 100 years ago. No the accidents."

I blinked at him, I had no clue as to what he was refering to.
"Don't you know? All the accidents?" Still I shook my head. Mr Gorman took off his flat cap and rubbed his forehead, thus wiping dust onto the deep wrinkles that resided there. He always looked troubled did Mr Gorman, and although he was still rather young, his face was a map of expression.

"Many tried selling the place, but it seemed it was cursed. Accidents, deaths, even a few weird people... you know the occultist types would hand about. Lost count of how many sacraficed cats I cleaned out of here."

Malefic who was licking his paw, stopped to listen, his interest or should I say- horror piqued.
"Yes, in fact I remember about a week before you got here someone lurling around the grounds, setting a fire in the grounds. They cleared off though, bloody weirdo."

So the warlocks have been busy before I even got here.

"And of course, there was the sad death of Mrs Hemsworth." Mr Gorman shook his head. "Yeah, those lads had it rough, still their dad looked after them well."

"Mrs Hemsworth?" I asked confused, "you can't surely mean Chris and Liam's mum?"

"Aye, one and the same. Hung herself she did off that bannister overlooking the Foyer. Their dad said she had been acting up, depressed, strange behaviors. Still, it was shocking."

I paused in thought. Poor Liam amd Chris, their mother killed herself. I womdered then if she were trapped in the house too, and worried for the spirit of their mother. A job for a later day.