vi.

╔═══*.·:·.★ ✦ ★・:・:*═══╗

When Alina saw the light coming from the CDC shutters, she was the first to walk towards it, shrugging off her daughters hand to caution her. A part of her hoped it was the light you see when you're about to die, that if she headed towards it she would see Sui again, but instead another voice rang through her ears, "close the doors. watch for walkers."

Paola still clung to Glenn's side, her face smudged against his side as he kept her close. Her dark eyes trailed after her mother, as much as she'd come to love Glenn, the child wished more than anything that it was alina giving her comfort, Alina the one to tell her that her father would be okay without them, but the mother wouldn't even spare her a glance.

Guns cock at the man aiming his at them, "anybody infected?" He asks, scanning over the group.

"One of our group was. He didn't make it." Rick confirms. Alina rolls her eyes, she didn't see why Rick had to share that detail that certainly wasn't his to share. Sui was hers and she didn't care for how officer friendly flung her grief around so carelessly.

"Why're you here? What do you want?" The man asks, moving closer to them.

Rick's breath is shaky, "a chance."

"That's asking an awful lot these days."

"I know."

The man scans over them, one by one, lingering on the children as though he had a change of heart, "you'll all submit to a blood test. That's the price of admission."

"We can do that." Rick nods.

"You got stuff to bring in you do it now. Once this door closes it stays closed." He lowers his gun, aiming it at the floor and pointing at the leader.

People scramble around to gather there belongings, Glenn straps Paola's backpack on the small girl before grabbing her hand again, Alina didn't even check to see that Paola was okay. The man speaks to someone called Vi on a speaker and the shutters fall on the CDC. He introduces himself as Dr Edwin Jenner.

Filing into an elevator, Paola stands between Glenn and Alina. While the pizza delivery boy has no problem giving her his hand, her mother swatted her away, glaring at the dark haired girl as though she was the one that killed her husband. Cowering away, Daryl speaks.

"Doctors always go around packing heat like that?"

"there were plenty left lying around, I familiarised myself." Jenner explains, facing the doors of the lift. "you look harmless enough. Except you, i'll have to keep my eye on you." He teases carl, a light grin and a soft chuckle.

Walking out after the doctor, Alina walks ahead of Glenn and Paola headed to the doctors side. Glenn tries to offer her a smile but her frown didn't budge.

"Are we underground?" Carol asks, holding Sophia's hand.

"Are you claustrophobic?"

She nods, "a little."

Jenner turns his head to glance at the short haired woman, "try not to think about it. Vi, bring up the lights in the big room."

Entering the 'big room' Paola gapes, this was the first time in a while they had electricity. "where is everyone?" Rick asks, "the other doctors, the staff?"

"I'm it. It's just me here."

|

After taking the blood tests, the group sat around a table filled with all the food and more importantly, wine, they could've dreamt of. Alina left earlier, already asking jenner where she could sleep. Paola knew it was to get away from her and it stung. She didn't know how she could face a mother who didn't love her anymore.