iii.

╔═══*.·:·.★ ✦ ★・:・:*═══╗

It seemed as though things were coming together. Hershel was getting better every day and they had claimed their part of the prison moving as much of their stuff in as possible. Everything was going good aside from the few prisoners still roaming around, but Paola was never was never allowed to go near them.

The young girl shared a cell with Glenn and Maggie but she usually had it to herself on the nights the pair took watch at the guard tower. She had her hands over her hips, the couple had decided to give her free rein of decorating the cell; even though she didn't have much to work with, it was the little things that brought her joy.

Taking the top bunk for herself, she unpack the backpacks and positioned every item to her liking, she had to make it home somehow.

Below her, Paola heard the clicking of Hershel's new crutches. It was a great find in the infirmary and had proved to come in handy for the old man. Since he had been recovering, Paola had gotten closer to him, becoming more and more like a wise old grandpa after every talk. He would often go on about how she was becoming a brilliant young lady and as the more she grew, the more she reminded him of Maggie.

Leaning over the railing she beamed down at Beth, Lori and Carl who helped Hershel out the cell he had been confinded to. "You're finally up."

"Great observation, sweet pea." Hershel returned her smile, trying to conceal how harsh his grip was on the crutches, "care to join me for a stroll?"

She nods at him, skipping down the stairs to join the group. Normally she would've linked his arm, but she settled for a hand on his shoulder and helped lead him outside, where a sun-kissed glow settled on them.

The rest of the group who had taken up outside duty smiled softly at the same. Many hadn't seen Hershel so eager in weeks, the man seeming to have fallen into a depression at the loss of his leg, but that never stopped him from being his kind self.

Waving at Glenn at the gate who stood beside Daryl, Paola giggled at his giddiness to see the man up and about. It was the little things that never failed to make the group smile. Next the dark haired girl matched Maggie glee, waving at her too, standing on her tiptoes to try and see more clearly.

But like usual, the good things weren't meant to last.

"Walkers! Look out!" Carl yelled, the growls catching him off guard before alerting the group.

Bullets fired at the dead like a downpour, drenching their bodies as they fell limp to the floor. Pulling out her emergencies only gun, Paola aimed for the head every time, sure a few missed, but it meant life or death and even if her shaky hands wobbled, she did the best she could.

Beth got her father out of there, leading him back to the cellblock as he did the best he could considering he only had his crutches as a defense. Lori gripped Carl and Paola close to her, trying her best to keep the children away from the grabbing hands of the undead.

"Lori! Here!" Maggie yelled, holding open a fenced gate, motioning for the trio to follow her. Upon making it to the short haired woman, Maggie quickly grabbed Paola from Lori, pushing the young girl behind her while she locked it (though poala still had her gun raised, she always had Maggie's back.)

She led them through the cafeteria, doubling back on herself as more walkers chased them, "this way." Turning everyone around, she locked them in a gated area, the walker's swatting their hands through the bars.