Prologue (1)

After hours of torturous labour, Adriana Baresi had been born into the world. The little girl, only daughter to the Baresi Mafia had finally arrived. Her six brothers look over her in her hospital crib adoringly. All they wanted was a little sister to love and protect, to shower her with gifts and the joys of the world, even the one they live in. 

Flavia Baresi and her husband, Adriano sat peacefully watching their beloved children. Flavia had dedicated her life to her children, while Adriano did so with his work. The loved they had was only gifted on his part however, they had been forced into an arranged marriage and while his feelings for her grew, hers could only go so far. 

She did love him once, for many years, but she soon realised the love she had for him was because of the children he gifted her, not for him. And it did hurt her to admit that, but they made it work, because she had no one else. Her entire life she had been in the mafia and never having a way out. 

Two months later the Family of nine were dressed to perfection, ready to officially announce the new Baresi into the mafia world. All six sons dressed in all black suits to match their father, their ages ranging from 14 to 2. They all loved their sister, nothing could stop that. 

Despite her being so young they had all built a never ending bond with her. Alfonso would have her falling asleep in his arms everynight. Larzo would wake up early on a morning to help get her ready for the day. Riccardo would shield her from anyone who wasn't family. Dante would read to her during the day. Enzo and Ezio would cuddle up to her everynight as she slept soundly between the two, one stroking her hand while the other stroking her hair. 

The day was spent with the members of the Italian mafia pledging loyalty and protection to the  baby girl. Her extended family absolutely fascinated by the buddle of joy, the baby of the family. 

The next ten months was filled with laughter and joy inside the Baresi family. All loved devoted to the baby girl who was the light in their darkness. 

If only they knew what their mother was planning. She had fallen in love with an American soldier and was planning on running away with him to London where he was stationed on an American base. 

If only they knew that she was willing to give up her children for him. Well, all except one.

Prologue 2: 

Devastation was all the Baresi family had known for the past twelve years. The loss of their mother and wife was painful, but that pain turned to fury and hatred when she took Adriana. She was the only thing that made them feel like their lives didn't revolve around the mafia, and they had lost her. 

Little did they know, that same little baby, was a twelve year old girl spending every minute she could out of the hell hole she called home. Her step-father, Andrew, was killed while overseas, sending her mother into a spiral of drinking, depression and drugs. She would attack her daughter with everything she had, sometimes physically, but mostly verbally.  

This let Adriana have a little spiral of her own. She stopped caring about things like her appearance and authority. Her hair would be a different colour everyweek, her school would scold her for fights and backchat, yet with perfect grades, they had to let her continue with extra curricular: cross country, football, and kickboxing. She ended up with the wrong group of people, she started smoking and drinking, yet she never let herself go to far and get addicted like her mother. 

This has been the life so far for Adriana Baresi, but now everything is going to change.