Don't look back in anger

Adriana's POV:

It had been a long day at school and I had just finished a two mile run in cross country. My calves are aching, my thighs are burning and I don't even want to start on my feat. Not to mention I have to run so I can make it on the bus home.

I change quickly out of my sweaty clothes and have a quick was down before leaving for the bus in a clean pair of black shorts and an oversized grey jumper. When the bus pulls up I hop on and sit in my usual seat by the window. I take out my phone, but I notice that two teenage boys next to me looking me up and down. One blows me a kiss and I just roll my eyes chuckling. The bus comes to a stop and I get of and begin down my dodgy street.

I make it outside my house and notice something is off. It then hits me that my mother would usually sit by the window to scold me for god knows what when I got home, but she wasn't there. I sigh walking through the front door assuming she's passed out drunk again. I take my usual glance into the living room as I begin to climb the stairs, but I stop in my tracks at what I see.

She lays there on the ground, eyes open and lifeless. Foam at the mouth and a needle hanging halfway out of her arm. I kneel down next to her and check her pulse.

"Stupid junkie bitch." I mutter as I pull out my ancient iphone 6, and dial 999.

I hear the operator pick up and ask me what the problem is, to which I respond, "My mother has overdosed in the living room."

She asks me if she's breathing and when I say 'no' she sends an ambulance over after I give her my address. I hang up and walk into the kitchen, talking out a cold beer from the fridge and lighting the joint in my pocket. I sit at the bar stool in the kitchen for half an hour before the paramedics finally show up, by then I had finished the joint and the beer.

They take her body away in the ambulance after a social worker turns up to look after me as they track down my family. I fell asleep on the sofa not long after, only to be woken by the social worker.

"Adriana, we found your brothers who have agreed to take you in, go pack your bags." He tells me. I nod and pack all of my belongings in my bedroom, all of it fitting in a suitcase and a duffle bag. I look down at the dog tag around my neck and sigh.

"I miss you." I mumbled as I kiss the engraved name of my step-father. The only loving parent I can really remember or love.

I had been taken to the airport by the social worker and had boarded the place, in first class seats. Let's just say we weren't complaining. The social worker had fallen asleep next to me and I looked out the window to the clouds beneath us. He told me my brothers lived in New York and that I had an Italian family.

I ended up falling asleep during the flight and the social worker once again woke me up. We had just gotten through security and we were walking to the entrance of the airport with my luggage in hand.

"Your brother is meeting us here." He tells me. I just nod and lean against the wall.

"Oh there he is." The social worker says after a few minutes of waiting. I open my eyes and see an identical pair staring back at me.

"Mr Baresi?" He says.

"Yeah." His gruff yet kind voice responds. His eyes don't leave mine as he looks at me like I'm his world.

They continue to talk but I don't hear as I study my brother. He has a tall, over 6f, muscular build. Hair a soft brown and styled to perfection. A small scar is visible by his eyebrow and his eyes are the same emerald colour of mine.

"Well Adriana, I'll leave you with your brother then." I thank the social worker and he walks back into the airport.

"I'm guessing you don't remember me?" My brother finally speaks.

I nod my head yes and he continues. "I'm Larzo, the second oldest." He says as his guards grab my luggage and they lead us out to an SUV parked outside.

"Nice to meet you." I tell him. We get in the car and I can feel his eyes studying me closely.

"Is that a tattoo?" He suddenly questions. I see his eyes focused on my ear and I nod my head. His body tense at the sight but soon relaxes.

"Good luck explaining that to Alfonzo." He chuckles.
"How many brothers do we have?" I was told I had brothers. But never told how many, so mow Im curious.

"Well there's Alfonzo, he's the legal guardian, then me, then Riccardo, Dante, Enzo and Ezio." My eyes go wide at the news. Six brothers, this is going to be so fun. Note the sarcasm.

Larzo and I made small talk the entire car ride. Just general getting to know each other really. I told him about my sports and what I liked to do for fun, that's legal, which was photography and playing sports outside. I found out he works in the family business and he's the family cook.

By the time we had finished our small talk the car had stopped.

We were here.