A Change to the Field

Bendy awoke on the floor. Norman was standing, stiff as a statue, across from the door, watching it. Sammy sat leaned against the wall. His arm looked healed, but the hole in his stomach still oozed ink.

Sammy was first to notice Bendy. "Hey, imp. You okay?"

Bendy simply nodded, "Are you?"

"It'll be fine. Still stings but I'll live."

Bendy's attention turned to Norman. "Is he okay?"

It was a few moments before Sammy replied, "I'm not sure. He was still really down earlier. I said I forgive him for what happened, but I don't think he's forgiven himself yet."

"Oh." Bendy studied the sentinel watching the door. The image of him stabbing Sammy replayed in Bendy's mind. What if Norman did succumb to the Projectionist? What if he became one of the Demon King's hunters, like Borkis?

Bendy felt despair's cold fingers slide up his spine. He didn't want to lose another friend! He didn't want to be left alone again!

"Bendy?"

Sammy's voice cut into the toon's thoughts and stilled his trembling limbs. "S-sorry, I uh... got lost in thought, I guess."

"The Demon King's been movin'," Norman declared dully.

Bendy looked between him and the door, tilting his head, "What do you mean?"

"Beyond the door. There's been noises. Sounds like somethin' big movin' around."

"Should we get moving?" asked Sammy.

"Notta chance. Yer still hurt."

Bendy produced a can of soup, "Will this help?"

Norman and Sammy started in shock.

"I didn't know you could use Hammerspace," said Sammy.

"Uh... y-yeah," Bendy said, his tail twitching with embarrassment, "On-model toons can use it."

Norman pointed at Sammy, "So how come he can use it for the scythe?"

"That's not Hammerspace," Sammy and Bendy responded together.

Bendy used the sharp tip of his tail to pop a hole in the can. Sammy accepted it from him and began downing the contents. While he drank, Norman took notice of Bendy's tail.

"Yer designs never had a tail, much less one with that fish hook notch in it."

"His tail has a notch?" Sammy asked.

"Yeah, look." Norman caught the end of Bendy's tail, lifting the tip and turning it. The triangle shape was indeed notched with what looked like a half-heart, giving it a sharp, fish hook-like shape. "You could cause some damage with this, buddy," Norman chuckled.

Bendy offered a half-smile, not really sure how to take that.

"Okay, okay, talent show's over," said Sammy. He reached a hand toward Norman, "Help me up."

Norman balked, but Sammy kept his hand extended with silent insistence. Norman finally relented and gingerly helped Sammy to his feet. His wound had closed up and now looked like a shiny patch beneath his rib cage.

"Does it still hurt?" Bendy asked.

Sammy gently stretched, his eyes pinching with the motion, "Little stiff, but fine. Regardless, we should probably get a move on."

Norman nodded and reached for the door handle. It melted under his touch. The door then swung open on its own.

The trio peered out to find the hallway had been replaced.