Untangled

"I don't believe it," said Sammy for the umpteenth time.

Susie teased her hair in the mirror. "Do you need to take a walk or something? You've been wound tighter than Norman's reels ever since we got here."

Standing and starting to pace, Sammy rubbed at his head as he talked. "You don't think it's a bit... off? Since when has anything good happened to us just because?"

"Maybe because this is the real world and real people can be nice." Susie sighed and turned to halt her man's pacing, taking his hands. "I get it. You've been trapped in hell for so long you've forgotten that there's good in the world. And maybe Dot's arrival is oddly convenient, but it's a good thing. Good things can happen by accident. We did, after all; happiest accident of our lives."

Sammy smiled and squeezed Susie's hands. He inhaled slowly before letting go and aiming for the door. "I think I need that walk, actually."

Susie pecked him on the cheek. "Don't take too long."

"I won't. Promise."

Sammy put his boots back on and tugged at the long-sleeved T-shirt he was wearing. The fabric felt strange after decades of not wearing a shirt. But for the sake of decency, he kept it on.

Dot stopped him at the door. "Where d'you thing you're going?"

"I need to take a walk."

Dot lifted an eyebrow at him. "A walk? Out in these woods at night with a storm brewin'? Aight, then. Just keep in mind how you think you'll find your way back."

"I can see in the dark just fine, thank you."

"Yeah, those gleamin' peepers o' yers can do wonders, I'm sure. Well, off with ya, then!" Dot shooed him out.

Sammy shut the door behind him and stepped into the night. He shook his head. Was that really the same Dot-from-Story with a crush on Art Department? He remembered her having some sass but never to that degree. Time must have sharpened her wit as well as her tongue.

The inked man made his way through the woods. He wasn't lying about the night vision, but nor did he care where he went. He kept his head down as he weaved between trees and stamped over brush and leaves.

He had to get away from them. Away from all that good stuff. Away from his savior and friends and... and lover.

"I don't believe it," he muttered.

He looked up when he smelled smoke. He stood on a ridge overlooking the flaming pit that was now the Studio. It had been hours and yet the flames still roared.

"I don't believe it."

He stood silently. Even the woods quieted themselves as if to listen to him, like a congregation before a prophet's message.

Sammy bowed his head.

"Wake me up."

Nothing responded.

"I honestly find it impressive how you've kept me under this long. Normally these only last a few days, but it's been, what, weeks?"

Sammy's fist clenched by his side. "It's over. You've strung me along far enough. Your story has been quite impressive. You even let me get out, and with Susie no less!"

His shoulders tensed as if bracing for a blow.

"Whatever lesson you were trying to teach me, I get it. Your illusion is so deep, I don't recall what the punishment is for, but I repent. I repent for my transgressions but I c-can't take this anymore. I've played along, sometimes I thought I actually believed it, but... I... don't. I don't believe it.