Chapter 29

"So the insulation is all set, the wood beams for your log home feel just need to be sanded and stained. Which will happen when we get the drywall up and the paint on." Marcus talked while Meredith looked around at her house in awe with wide eyes not hearing a thing and Derek actually listened. Marcus walked in front while they followed behind, hand in hand. Derek gripping onto her and not letting go. The house was a construction site and while Marcus assured Derek it was safe right now, he was not letting Meredith out of his sight.

"Is the outside concrete poured?" Derek asked.

"Yes, the pool, spa, guest house, outdoor kitchen and fireplace, the covered walk way, the dock and boat house. All have been poured."

"Spa and pool" Meredith smiled and whispered. Derek rolled his eyes at the two words that she actually processed.

"Is the estimate completion time the same?" she asked, speaking her first words since they started this inspection 30 minutes ago other than spa and pool.

"Yes" Marcus turned to address her, "We are right on schedule and expect to have the interior, exterior, landscape, everything all finished in November."

"Christmas." Meredith whispered turning to Derek, her eyes all glowing with realization they'll spend this years Holidays in their brand new home. Their first house together.

"I love Christmas." He smiled back at her thinking the same thing as her, they were going to have their Christmas together in their home. Decorations, stockings on their fireplace mantel, a huge tree in their great room. Meredith saw it all also, she couldn't contain herself, she giggled and flung herself into Derek's arms to hug him.

"It's our dream house Der, everything we dreamed about all those years ago." She whispered with tears in her eyes. "I know baby, I know. We got it and for Christmas." Derek held her tightly against him, his own eyes misty with the realization and remembering that conversation they had back when Meredith was just 18 years old.

Meredith sat cross legged in jeans and a sweatshirt on the floor of Derek's bedroom in his mothers Long Island home , chewing her lip nervously as she tried to fold all his clothes he had gotten earlier that Christmas day as gifts. Her new gift glistening in the light.

"Where will we live?" she asked.

"We'll get an apartment"

"But with what? I'll be starting NYU in the fall and you will start your internship."

"I do have money and will get paid for the internship, Mer" he laughed before continuing. "Don't worry Meredith, we can do this. You do still want to marry me right?" he asked her nervously for the first time since he had proposed to her this morning wanting no other Christmas present other than her promising to spend the rest of her life with him.

She looked up at him shocked at his question before untangling her legs and crawling over to where he sat opposite her and crawling into his lap, she grabbed his face with both her hands, looking straight into his eyes. "I want nothing more in the world than to be with you forever, I'm just scared of how we'll do it." She whispered.

"We've got the support of a lot of family downstairs, we have each other, that's all we need Mer."

"We're getting married, and I know we have money and I'm just being neurotic .So ignore me, I know we won't have to live on the street." She giggled.