Chapter 30

Marcus had left an hour ago yet Meredith and Derek couldn't bear to leave the area of the new house yet and return to the trailer. They stood on the make shift gravel drive way watching their semi completed house and envisioning it all finished.

They were in silence that is until Meredith started laughing and looking around.

"What's so funny?"

"We got grass."

"Yes. That is what we wanted." He smiled.

"We have lots and lots of grass." She said still laughing and Derek still not getting what was so funny.

"Help me out here Mer…"

"You're a neurosurgeon, and I just pictured you driving one of those riding lawnmower tractor things cutting all this grass." She said still unable to stop laughing.

"Mer, I love you and our grass. But I'm not getting on one of those things." He said while starting to laugh himself.

"You don't expect me to drive that thing do you?"

"No, Mer." He laughed. "We're 2 doctors, we have money. We can pay people to come and cut the grass and clean the yard for us." He said proudly.

"Your mom will freak. You know how she is on doing your own gardening"

"Well its good she lives all the way across the country then, isn't it. She won't see" He said tapping her nose.

"Okaaay, but I'll go on record as saying I suggested you cut it with the driving tractor thingy."

"Yes, then I'll be getting a straw hat and some denim overalls" he rolled his eyes saying.

"You'd look hot in denim overalls."

"I look hot in anything." He winked.

"Ego Der, ego." She chastised while he laughed as they headed back to their trailer.

The 3rd day of being an intern Meredith hoped it wouldn't be as eventful as the first two. She was hoping to settle in and just blend in the background and not be the one they all stared at.

She bid her husband bye again as he headed for his nice comfy private office and she headed to the locker room of doom. Which made her feel like high school gym class all over again.

Izzy huddled in the corner, farthest from Meredith. She seemed scared of her now and wouldn't even glance her way. Meredith guessed she didn't like being made a fool out of. Cristina nodded a hello, which was a huge move forward. That brought her to Alex and George, the 2 who were in the elevator last night with her and Derek and were now staring at her.

"Building a house Shepherd? Cool." Alex started off.

"Umm thanks." She replied with a smile.

"Yeah you you seemed happy talking to the other Dr. Shepherd about it in the elevator." George added.

"I am Dr. O'Malley."

"Building a house? Like yourselves?" Cristina interjected.

"A construction crew is building it, we designed it." Meredith added, thinking this morning is going a bit better. At least they're not giving her evil looks and attacking her.

"Why not just buy one?" Cristina asked in confusion. Meredith figured this girl was strange.

"Because we wanted it to be our own." Meredith smiled thinking of their walk through last night.

"What ever." Cristina shrugged as Bailey came in that morning to give our new assignments.

"Yang, Cardio,"

"O'Malley, Neuro"

"Karev, Pit.."

"Stevens and Shepherd, Plastics. Dr. Martin has a big case that needs 2 interns, oh and Dr. Shepherd, hold back I need to speak to you." Bailey added.

As everyone left, Meredith then quickly changed into her scrubs as Bailey hung back to speak with her. Meredith hoped this wasn't a bad talk. When they were alone, Bailey finally turned to speak to her.

"I got a memo from the Chief this morning informing me that I must give you double the amount of Neuro assignments that the rest of my interns. I told you Shepherd, that I was not going to allow your husband to favor you and I meant it."

"Dr. Bailey, Derek nor I had anything to do with the Chief's decision. He made that choice yesterday as we were leaving for the day and we were as shocked as you. I am intending to specialize in Neuro and the Chief knows this and he made this decision."

"How do you expect me to explain to my other interns why you spend more time with your husband than anyone else?" Bailey asked her seriously.

"Tell them the truth Dr. Bailey, that I will specialize in Neuro and I have more training and knowledge in it than anyone else. Which I think they know already." Meredith smartly responded remembering yesterday. Bailey just shook her head the intern who was the best and surely knew it.

"You have guts, Shepherd. I give you that. Now go, Dr. Martin in Plastics is waiting for you."

And with that Meredith took off to the Plastic Surgery wing.