Chapter 142

Derek and Meredith walked together into the cafeteria, his hand protectively on her lower back while he maneuvered her through the busy room looking for a table for four on the outside patio. Moments earlier Mark had texted Derek saying that they'd meet up in the cafeteria once he dragged Addison away from her new drapes and color coordinating.

Meredith had been a little quiet since they left his office. Derek knew she had something on her mind since she was chewing on her bottom lip. He found it so adorable that when she was in deep thought she'd do that. He had called her on it years ago and she got flustered, slapping his shoulders saying "I do not," but she kept on doing it and they both knew it.

"What's on your mind Mer?" Derek asked as they reached a table of four and he pulled out her seat for her and she sat.

"Nothing."

"Mer..." Derek responded using the "I know you're lying tone."

"Sometimes it sucks that you could read my mind." She huffed out.

"Not read your mind, read your mannerisms." Derek laughed as her eyes narrowed at him.

"Addi's here." She said matter of factly while Derek waited for more. Meredith realized Derek obviously didn't get where she was going with her line of thinking and rolled her eyes.

"Addi's here and I have a baby in here." She said pointing to her little bump trying to connect the dots for Derek and seeing his eyes light up in recognition.

"It's time for us to see the baby, because she's here now." He smiled knowingly.

"Do you think she'll mind doing it today?" she asked excitedly.

"May be we should wait until her office is at least set up."

"Tomorrow then?"

"Tomorrow we'll go first thing."

"Hey Shepherds." They hear from a fast approaching Addison coming up to the table in her pristine new Seattle Grace lab coat. "I haven't said that in a long time." She laughs at herself.

"Where's Mark?" Derek asks as Addison takes the seat next to Meredith and Addison waves her hand absently towards the direction of the cafeteria line.

"Said he's starving and you wouldn't give him baby food or something." She laughed as Derek rolled his eyes before turning to Meredith.

"What do you and our baby fancy?"

"Hmmm something with chicken in it and mayonnaise may be some ice cream too."

"Got it, Addi?"

"Nothing for me, Mark' getting it." She responded as Derek left to join the line leaving the two girls on their own to sit and talk for the first time face-to-face in months.

"I'd ask you what's new, but I can clearly see it." Addi laughed.

"He or she was a surprise, Derek put a rush on the house. Oh Addi, I can't wait to show it to you it's everything we've always wanted and dreamed out. It's not done outside yet but we got the inside done and not every room is furnished but the main ones are. I hate having to leave it."

"I can't wait, all I heard from Mark was about a trailer."

"Ugh, he just likes to tease."

"He told everyone back home that you two were making you own trailer park. Derek's mother hit him upside the head at dinner a few weeks ago for it, she said when the house is done it would serve him right if when I ever I get mad and kick him out when he shows up on your door you make him sleep in the trailer….Meredith?" Addison asked getting serious noticing Meredith staring out toward the grass at the mention of in all aspects that matter, her mother.

"I miss her, and the sisters and the kids. I can't imagine having this baby without them all around. "

"You know that once you get bigger they'll be here, especially Carolyn. Trust me Mer, they're thinking up flight schedules and buying out Manhattan like crazy. "

"I know, but they know what they're doing I don't."

"Meredith, they'll still be a phone call away just like they would if you were still living in your old apartment. You just have to factor in time zone changes."

"I guess." Meredith sighed, shaking her head thinking of their old apartment. "Our old place could probably fit in Derek's garage." She giggled.

"Derek's garage?" Addison asked in confusion.

"Oh yes, it's all his. He put floors and heat and windows in it. The cars have their own bedroom basically." Meredith laughed as Derek and Mark approached the pair with trays of food. Sitting down to join the two as all four of them laughed, ate and joked about old times and future times during their lunch hour together.