You Meet Him.

{June 2019 Update: Heyyyyyy so I've finally decided to go through previous chapters and edit them to be better written. Most of the story will be the same, I promise! It'll just look better and be... grammatically correct because I know what I'm doing now. I'll try to avoid changing my more iconic lines, but the process has begun!!! (Just wanted to warn ya!) Okay enjoy!} 

"You know who's late on their first day of work? Me. You know who's an idiot? Me."

You groan as you continue to mentally beat yourself up over your own incompetence.

  After applying for the security position at the children's pizzeria, you were quickly called in for an interview. Surprisingly, you were pretty much hired on the spot. They must have been desperate or something... Anyway, they gave you a uniform and a utility belt and told you to come back later when your shift started.

  Being a smart person, you decided the best course of action would be to nap so you wouldn't be completely exhausted during the night shift. What a great idea! Except you managed to sleep through your many alarms. Good plan, extremely poor execution. This entire ordeal leads to the present moment: you're running down the street, panicking the entire way.

  Luckily for you, your apartment was only a couple blocks away. On any given day, you could probably run the distance in about ten minutes. However, your newly found hysteria has given you the incredible power of intense adrenaline, so you halved the time.

  As you approach the doors, you spot your boss standing there impatiently. Arms crossed and with a very disappointed expression on his face, he looks unamused. Oh, joy. You slow to a stop in front of him and nearly collapse as the adrenaline suddenly leaves your body. You have to hunch over with your hands on your knees to avoid completely crumbling. "I'm so... hah... sorry sir," you pant heavily with burning lungs.

  With a sigh, your boss shakes his head but remains silent as he stares down at you. You guess he's taking pity on you and waiting for you to compose yourself. After taking a very large breath, you straighten up. You look like a complete wreck, but you don't really want to make him wait longer. After all, you were supposed to be here about 15 minutes ago. You hesitantly make unsteady eye contact with him and you nearly feel your soul leave your body. His stern look is nerve-racking and makes you feel worse than you already do.

  Sensing your discomfort, he drops his arms to his sides and relaxes his facial expression... somewhat. "Being late on the first night of the job is not a great impression, (L/N)." He clicks his tongue in disapproval. You rub the back of your neck, trying to soothe your nerves. "However," he continues, "we do need the position to be filled, and, frankly, I don't have any other last-minute options. Even if you are late, you're still here," he says, taking a quick glance over your (now very sweaty) form. He quietly grunts and reaches into his pocket. "Here are the keys. Don't let this become a habit," he warns and drops the keyring into your hand.

  "I won't, sir. Thank you, sir," you say, calmer now. The man sighs again, and you wonder if he is regretting hiring you yet. He begins walking out to the lone car sitting in the lot. You turn to the door and push the key into the lock.

  "Oh, and (L/N)?" Your boss calls out to you. You look at him over your shoulder. He's standing with the car door open, resting his hand on it. "Try not to lose the keys, they are the only ones we have." He turns to slide into the seat. "I'm sure you can handle that, right?" Ignoring his patronizing tone, you nod.

  Without another word, the man climbs into the vehicle and pulls the door shut. The car's engine roars to life and he gives you one last hesitant look before pulling out of the restaurant's parking lot and driving down the road. You watch as he drives away until his car disappears from your line of sight.