Road to Recovery

Silence. 

There are two types of silences.

 First, there is comfort silence. Comfort silence is... well, as the name entails, comforting. It is a wonderful warm embrace that grants you full control of your mind. It allows you that initiative to use your brain in whatever way you desire. It provides a safe space for pondering or daydreaming. Comfort is like an old friend or a member of a family you are always looking forward to seeing again. 

 And then there is the less appealing silence, 'stiff' silence. Stiff silence is tense and unnerving. It is the lingering last regretful word hanging in the air. It is the uncomfortable breath on the back of your neck, someone you want to shove away from your personal space. It is the nauseous feeling of panic in the pit of your stomach. The type of silence that feels heavy and thick, like you can't breathe. 

 He provided comfortable silence. He always did. You could sit quietly and just let your thoughts wander. It was a great opportunity to relax, and remember. You enjoyed his silence. 

 Well, that is to say, you enjoyed it before he almost murdered you. Attempted murder always really puts a damper on relationships with people.

 But he seemed genuinely upset about it. True remorse is hard to come by... much like common sense, it seemed to be a dying breed. Luckily, you had gotten lucky and found one of the few... ghost haunting robot people who had both. He was quite the treasure to you. 

 So you had (after some convincing) taken him back. You couldn't help it, you loved him. You loved his eyes, voice, mannerisms (even if some of them were a pain in the ass), and so much more. You loved every single detail about him. The pain of missing him lingered in your memory, and the relief of having him back had filled your mind and heart.  And you could never think of anyone else being that special person in your life. 

  And you had been returned to his comfortable silence. You were back in his warm and protecting embrace, and you never wanted to leave again. The silence consumed you both, and you didn't oppose it. It was like a gentle reminder of what love felt like.  You could live in the silence forever.

 (You had also gotten to go back to your job which was nice. Love is great and all, but come on. Everyone loves cold hard cash... especially when they're broke. Like you.)

"(Y/N)?" his voice rang out, cutting short the silence you had created. You tore your gaze away from your monitor to look at him. His face was pulled into a goofy lovestruck grin, and it must have been contagious because you couldn't help but smile back at him. He could always get you to smile.

 "Yes, dear?" you responded to his original call. He stood from his seated position on the desk and approached you. He took your hand and brushed his lips against your cheek. 

 "It's nice to have you back here... the office was never quite the same without you," he muttered. You smirked and raised an eyebrow. 

 "Just the office, huh? That's all you cared about?" you teased. He glared and rolled his eyes, releasing your hand. 

"Hush you." 

 You chuckled and turned your attention back to the cameras. There was never much to look at these days. Maybe the occasional spook here or there, but they had all gotten lazier. Not that you were complaining, it was great to get paid without putting in much effort. 

"... I love you." His single sentence hung in the air. Neither of you moved, but you waited. You were unsure if you were waiting for the same thing, but both of you wanted something from yourself. A response? An acknowledgment? Perhaps some kind of apology. That comfortable silence turned stiff.

 You set the tablet on the desk and looked into his eyes. There was a connection created from your gaze. Something felt relaxing about that, reducing the stillness in the air.

 "... We still have a long way to go," you whispered. "It's going to take a long time for us to go back to what we were... and even then it won't be the same." He nodded, turning his gaze toward the floor for a moment. 

"But we can do it. We can make it, right?" he asked, hopeful.

 Hope. What a strange thing for humans to experience. Most things are created from hope and a dream, including this relationship. It was clear that he knew that this hope of yours would keep you two from falling apart again. 

 But it would also take so much more. It would take acceptance of what had happened in the past. You would have to rely on trust, loyalty, respect, and above all a mutual understanding that you would both be okay. Nothing about him should make you nervous, or worry you. You would need to speak through your problems, which would no doubt cause a lot of tears on both ends. 

"Yeah, we can," you answered. His face lit up and he quickly scooped you up in a hug. You gladly returned the affection. Both of you just embraced each other in silence, keeping the other close. It was not the same as it had been before, but something about that difference made it so much better. 

 You both had a long way to go. With many trials ahead of you, some almost impossible to face. You would have to risk everything you had and be prepared to live on nothing but trust and faith that you would be okay. 

"... I love you too."

 But you could do it, as long as he was right beside you. 
And that was something to be hopeful for. 

{A/N: Ayyyyyyyyy what's up? Feeling good? Doing good things? Being nice? Good, good. I'll be honest I have some stuff to say so I'll try and keep it short. First things first, I wanted to warn you guys that this story might come to an end soon (AHHHH EVERYONE PANIC, no don't do that. Bad.) but I was wondering what y'all wanted to see before the conclusion. Honestly, any suggestions are great. I am running low on creativity. Next, I apologize for the long ass delay... again. I have no excuse except general laziness. Third, I will be going through my previous chapters and EDITING ALL OF THE HORRIBLE THINGS I WROTE. As I like to think I am a better writer now, all of my horrible spelling and whatnot has been bugging me. I need to fix it. And uh, lastly (per the request of him), I am going to tell you I got back together with the guy I broke up with. So... yeah. 

 Oh before I forget, I really want to thank you all for being so patient with my sorry ass. I think my commenters are the sweetest and most supportive people on the fucking planet. I honestly would have just dropped this story if it weren't for you guys. I don't want you guys to be disappointed. 

So thank you.  I love you all so much and want to be there for you as much as you have been for me. So don't be afraid to talk to me if you think you have no one else! Because I am always here for you lovely amazing people.

-Frosty <3}