[25] Forgiving Hearts

"Here you are, milady," Douglas sings as he parks outside my house by the front porch. "Thank you for riding with UberDoug today. Will you be paying cash, check, or credit?"

I take my seatbelt off, laughing, and turn to face him. "Thank you for the ice cream. I had a good time."

"Of course. Anything for a friend." A friend, huh? He holds out his hand, asking, "Again, cash, check, or credit?"

I grab Douglas' hand. I'm about to make a bold move I'll probably regret. "How about a kiss instead?" I lean forward and kiss his cheek. His eyes widen with mine as our cheeks burn. I jump out of his truck before he says anything and duck my head in the window. "Bye, Dougie!" I wave and race inside, tripping over the carpet as I run to the window and peek out. I watch as he holds a finger to his cheek and smiles. I laugh to myself as he drives away and my entire body is shaking.

"What are you doing, weirdo?"

"Ah!" I jump at my brother's sudden voice and spin around to see him watching me from the couch, a coffee mug in his hand. I didn't even see him when I ran in. "Don't do that! You know it's rude to sneak on people."

"You know what's also rude?" He asks, standing up to see out the window. "Spying on Douglas."

My jaw drops, embarrassed, and I defend myself. "What? I-I was not spying on Douglas. I was just making sure he left the driveway safely."

Tyler smirks. "Sure you were." He brings the mug to his lips and I notice his knuckles are bruised.

"What happened to your hands?!" My brother turns around and walks off, ignoring me. "Tyler!" I chase him upstairs to his room and barge in before he can lock me out. "Tell me how you got those bruises!"

"Does it matter?"

"Yes, it matters!"

Tyler falls back on his bed and sighs. "If you really must know, it was Logan."

Logan? "What are you talking about? He was arrested."

"Yeah, was," He agrees and sits up. "Logan's bail was paid a few hours ago. They let him go." He stares at me, confused, and his eyes widen. "Wait, are you just finding out about this now?"

"Yes! I had no idea." I sit beside Tyler and stare at my shoes. How could his bail had been paid already? Who paid it? That's what I want to know. Only someone as vile and disgusting as Logan would've done it. "Do you know who paid it?" I ask and Tyler's silence tells me. He does. "Who?" He doesn't answer. I repeat myself again. "I don't care if you're trying to protect me or something, but I want to know who paid his bail."

He sighs. "It was Paul."

Sounds about right. "Of course he did," I mutter and I gesture at Tyler's hands. "So, what happened?"

He rubs his knuckles, saying, "After Uncle Frank called and told me about Logan's bail being paid off, I drove over to his house."

"No," I whisper, shaking my head. "Please tell me you did not get in a fight with Logan."

"I did not get in a fight with Logan."

"You're lying!"

"You just told me to say that."

I roll my eyes, asking, "Why did you get in a fight with Logan?"

"Because Addy!" Tyler screams, angry, and stands up. "Because I saw what he did to you and I wanted him to hurt the same. You should see his face." He laughs and it fades into a sad chuckle. "Logan didn't want to get mixed with the cops again, so he said he wouldn't press charges as long as he doesn't see my face again. Fine by me! Who cares about ten years of friendship?"