[30] Non-Date

Uncle Frank turns in the driveway and parks at the house. "Who's the kid?"

I look over and see Douglas sitting on the front porch steps. He stands and waves with a bouquet of daisies—coincidently my favorite flower—and steps down to meet us. He ditches his usual geeky shirts and cargo shorts for a black long-sleeved button down and dark jeans. His hair is perfectly styled and slicked to the side and it makes me uneasy. I prefer it messy. Other than that, he looks nice. He always does. "That's Douglas. He's a friend from school."

He raises an eyebrow. "Do all your friends bring you flowers?"

I smile. "Only the good ones."

Uncle Frank walks up with me to the house and Douglas stands still, nervous now, and holds his arms out. "Hey, Addy. These are for you."

"Thank you, Douglas." I take the flowers and smell them. "My favorite."

He turns to my uncle. "You must be Frank. Tyler told me to watch out for you." His eyes widen fast. "N-Not 'watch out' like you're gonna hurt me or anything. Just that, umm..." He trails off and clears his throat. "Nice to meet you, sir."

Uncle Frank looks him up and down. "You're Douglas?"

"Yes, sir."

He grins and I want to slap him. "Tyler told me about you."

Douglas' face pales. "Oh, he did?"

"He sure did." Uncle Frank pats his shoulder with a wicked chuckle. "I don't know what your intentions are with my niece, but if you're just as bad as that other kid, I'm going to kick your ass. Hard. So you better think twice."

"I would never hurt Addy," Douglas quickly defends and my heart flutters. "Never."

"So, Douglas..." I interrupt as I step in between them before Uncle Frank scares him away. "What are you doing here?"

He laughs with a smile. "I am here to... ask you out... on a date."

"A date?" Uncle Frank and I ask at the same time.

"Yes," Douglas whispers, scratching the back of his neck as his cheeks burn red in embarrassment. "Umm, I had this big romantic speech planned, but I didn't expect an audience."

I glare at Uncle Frank and widen my eyes, jerking my head towards the house. "Go inside," I whisper, kicking his leg.

"I guess I'm going to give you kids a moment," Uncle Frank says as he steps past us. He turns around and adds, "But if you do something wrong, boy, and I will—"

"Bye, Uncle Frank!" I shout, pushing him up the steps. He hurries inside and shuts the front door behind him. I face Douglas. "Sorry about that."

"Tyler was right," He whispers. "He's scary."

I wave his fear away and say, "He's protective of me. After everything that happened with Logan, he's just making sure I don't pick another asshole." I smell the daisies again. "The flowers are beautiful, Douglas, but how did you know they're my favorite?"

He smirks. "Tyler told me. Said it might help my chances."

"Oh, really? He said that? Is Tyler your wingman tonight or something?" I smell the flowers for a third time and realize that not once in my three-year relationship with Logan had he got me flowers. Not for Valentine's Day or my birthday. Never.

"You can say no, of course, and keep the flowers," Douglas says, misunderstanding my frown. "They were only like eight dollars. But I really like you, Addy, and part of me thinks you might like me, too."