006. ice breaker

a knock was heard, interrupting maeve's and andie's conversation

"hide." andie whispered, giving maeve the chance to turn back into the stone, before inserting it into her necklace.

she skipped towards the door, opening it to reveal the brunette prince.

"hey, josh!"

"hey, there! i just wanted to let you know that i'm going on that walk. would you still care to join?" he asked, holding his arm out, welcoming andie to take.

"uh-" before andie could reply, she looked behind her to see evan into a deep slumber, "i'd love to." she smiled, taking his arm before closing the door behind her.

as they walked out of the castle, they were completely silent. all you could hear were the birds chirping and the light wind brushing against their ears. it was peaceful.

josh's hair was being swept by the wind. andie watched it move as her hair and dress did the same, feeling the cool breeze from the wind.

walking down the rocky pathway, they reached a meadow, flowers with a varity of colors filled their sight, along with willow trees with leaves that reached grass that grew up until their knees. andie took in the sight, her eyes trailing every inch of the beautiful view.

"so..." andie started, trying not to make it awkward for the two of them, "what's your favorite color?"

"why do you ask?" josh asked, confused, looking at the girl.

andie furrowed her eyebrows, looking up at him with a half smile on her face.

"i just want to get to know you better. after all, it would be awkward to have two strangers live in your castle and know nothing about them, right?"

i mean, true.

"i suppose so. my favorite color is blue.. no, green.. both maybe." josh smiled, his dimples showing up, "what's yours?"

"i like gray. it's a very boring choice, but it's calming."

"is gray a color?"

"i see it as both a color and a shade. but, who cares?" she smiled. "but, if you want me to choose a 'real' color, i'd say pink."

"are we going to be switching off with the questions? i have one to ask you." josh replied, looking at andie.

"we can! i might run out of questions so, go for it."

"favorite animal? this one is an important question." josh spoke.

to andie, it seemed like he was joking. but when she glanced up at him, it looked like it wasn't much of a joke.

"hmm, maybe a doe. those creatures were always my favorite. you?"

"probably a horse. i have a friesian horse, he's the most beautiful thing. he listens to me when i talk to him." josh answered, mentioning his meaningful pet as he picked a few daisies and picked at their petals.

"i don't think animals can talk, josh."

don't you crush his spirits, andie. let him believe.

"that's the best part, it's like — whenever i try talking to an actual person, they never listen to me." he responded, having an emotion of disappointment on his face.

he seemed genuine in his response, a frown sitting where his dimpled smile had once been.

andie looked over at the brunette boy next to her, she rested a hand on his shoulder as she showed a look of sympathy on her face, "well, you have a friend now, and evan is just as trustworthy."

as the two walked, they'd make eye contact and glance at each other every once in awhile during their talk. sometimes andie would take a few spare moments to look at josh, only for him to do the same after she looked away. while getting to know each other by asking questions, their questions got a bit deeper.

"what do you think about rain?" andie asked, hoping he'd answer the same way she would.

"i don't see rain that much. father doesn't let me out while it rains, especially during thunderstorms."

"that's kind of... wow, i hope it rains one of these days then. i want to show you what it feels like, it's nice. really calming. i usually stand outside in the rain and just let myself enjoy the feeling, but if i don't feel like going outside, i just sit at my window and watch it go down." andie mentioned.

she loves talking about rain, she could go on and on for hours just telling people how amazing the rain makes her feel. the rain was truly beautiful. it was as if mother nature really was taking care of her creations, watering them.

"you really like that type of weather?"

"i do. i love the gray sky, the fog, the cold feeling after it rains. it's just so perfect." andie smiled.

the two eventually got tired and sat under a willow tree on a short hill, continuing their conversation on getting to know each other. it was nice, being able to talk to someone for such a long time and not feel like you're running out of time. sometimes when you talk to people, you can feel like you have a time limit before they wave you off, getting bored of you so easily. with josh, it didn't feel like that at all.

"have you ever felt like — something felt so real, but it just isn't at the same time?" andie asked.

that question was indirectly asking josh if this was all real. it wasn't worded the best, but she tried.

"that's a hard question to answer."

it became silent for a moment, the two had to think about the question.

"is this a dream?" andie asked, sounding confused.

"i don't know, what do you think?" josh replied, looking over at her.

andie shrugged, the gears in her brain moving to further explain her question.

"like, you know — you're royalty. you get everything you want, really. i can't really imagine a life more perfect than this."

she had a point. the question was valid. being royalty seemed so... perfect. everyone bending over backwards for your wishes and listening to what you say. hardly even having to lift a finger to get what you'd need or want in life. it seemed like an easy life to live.

josh sighed, "it's not, if anything, it's a nightmare."