19. No Friends, Just Benefits

The days that dragged on felt like months, and where a warm heart lay it was now cold. Iced and frozen as all the emotions in it. All that kept me going was the large calendar by my bed as it counted down the days till I left. Till I could start over fresh this time, with nothing but old memories that would be buried deep within my soul.

Every night I'd fall asleep with nothing but troubled thoughts in my head, and a line repeating over and over again. The man I loved, the man I gave myself to, didn't want to be with me. And every night with that thought, I would cry myself to sleep.

Kelsey visited me numerous times over the next week, desperately trying to get me out of the house and do something that would distract me, but each time, I had given her the cold shoulder. So when I called her yesterday and asked her to accompany me on a shopping trip, she nearly broke down into tears.

It was hard getting out of bed, but I remembered Kelsey and her hard efforts. I wore my hair down and just wiggled my way into a pair of high waisted shorts and a white v-neck. I lolled around in the kitchen, poking at my cereal. I looked around and called out for my mom but there was no reply.

I hadn't seen much of her, and if she had left on another trip then I was definitely not aware of it. Sometime in the afternoon, I heard Kelsey pull up in my driveway, so I snatched my purse, phone, and slipped my pink toes into a pair of shiny silver flip flops. I locked the door behind me and squinted at the glaring sun ahead of me. I made a bee line for her car and threw myself into the passenger seat. I heaved a breath and turned to look at my best friend whose eyes were all watery.

She leaned in and hugged me tightly, "Oh, Charlie..." She mused softly, pulling back to give me a reassuring smile. "I've missed you! This will be fun!"

I sighed and leaned into the seat, putting my shades on. "Oh yeah."

When we got into the mall, we both pulled out our lists and decided where we'd go to and for how long. This was supposed to be the last shopping trip needed for packing. Most of the places on our lists were the same so we decided to do those first. We headed towards American Eagle, arms linked together.

"Oh, God, I really wanna buy this!" She squealed, pulling out a striped sundress.

I cocked a brow in question, "I swear you have the same thing in purple!" She shrugged her shoulders at me, plopping the article into her big pile on the counter. It had been roughly fifteen minutes and I had paid for my items. Kelsey, however, had a mountain of clothes that I was positive she didn't need. I looked around impatiently before tapping her on the back.

"Yeah?" She asked, engrossed in a green and yellow scarf.

"I'm gonna head over to Victoria's Secret, okay?" I said before turning around on my heels with my shopping bag tight under my grip.

"Great, I'll see you in five!" She called to my retreating figure.

Much to my surprise the store was quite empty, so I had plenty of room to wander and grab things that caught my attention. I sighed, I hadn't been lingerie shopping in over six months and it was definitely time to invest in a bunch of new things.