Chapter 21 - THE END

It felt like forever until I woke up, but the minute my eyes fluttered open, I looked down at my pale hands and figured I had been out for a few hours, but then a nurse walked in and her mouth fell into an 'o' before she ran out to call a doctor. I frowned, was there a need to look so dramatic? Maybe I looked like crap! Maybe I thought I was out for a few hours but what if it were years? I began to panic as I looked around for something to see my reflection - but the doctor walked in.

"Ah, Ms. Ferguson... It seems you have a record for landing yourself in here, it seems." He smiled genuinely, his eyes crinkling at the edges. He had peppered hair and sported a name tag that read Doctor A. Montgomery.

I blushed slightly and let my gaze drop to my hands. They looked normal... But something caught my eye, and I was soon drawn to the large gauze that had both my arms wrapped up. My eyes flew to meet my doctors and I was almost certain he could see the fear in my eyes.

He held his hands out as he approached me, the same nurse trailing curiously behind his back. He stopped in front of me and smiled sympathetically. "Charlotte... You had some terrible gashes when the cops found you - its on its way to healing. Give it some time, okay?"

I found my voice, then. And the memories came rushing back to me and I cringed. "Where is she?" I asked hoarsely. My heart began to pound. Was she here? Waiting to take me home and finish me once and for all? God, I hoped not.

He shook his head, "No, Charlotte. It's been a week since she's gone."

I frowned, "Gone? Gone where?"

The nurse stepped in and I noticed a frown etched onto her pixie like facial features. "Doctor, perhaps we wait till she's eaten something and taken her meds? She's only just woken up." Her voice was soft and sweet, and concern was laced into her words.

He shook his head solemnly. "No, Marcella. She must hear this." He turned to face me and his eyes were giving nothing away. Just depths of dark brown. "Now, Charlotte. We're aware that you were attacked by your mother and in your last moments before the black out, you called the cops?"

I nodded, "I did... But I thought I was going to die."

He chuckled slightly before continuing, "No, dear. However, when the cops found you, you were so very close to not making it. There were multiple slashes to your arms. You were very lucky she narrowly missed a vein. Your blood was flowing like a river, and in all honesty when Marcella and I had to attend to you, we didn't think you'd make it."

My eyes narrowed, "She only cut my arms... I - I don't understand, doctor."

"Charlotte... When she saw the cops park outside your house, they assumed she ran up to kill you for good - but they broke in just in time to find her grabbing bits of broken glass to her own arms. She said that they couldn't have either of you. It took us two hours in surgery to rid you of all the shards and even then we had to transfer a lot of blood."

I cleared my throat and sat up with slight difficulty. "Where is she?" I asked, confused. None of this seemed right. Why wasn't he telling me?