12. No Friends, Just Benefits

I woke up early the next morning feeling surprisingly unhappy. My birthday usually made me happy but this year was different. This year, I had too much going on and too many reasons to be unhappy. I haphazardly stumbled into the washroom and started with my daily routine. Halfway through brushing my hair the doorbell rang.

Jason, I thought. I ran down with the brush in my hand, and opened the door, unaware of how half my hair resembled that of a wild bird nest. In front of me stood Jason, and it was the first time I'd ever seen him look so.... Spiffy. He was dressed in a blue button up shirt and black dress pants, his hair neatly spiked to perfection and his seemingly freshly shaved chin. "Hey." I smiled, moving out of the way to let him in. Instead, he pulled me in for a hug.

I hugged back, tightly, engulfed in his musky scent. "Happy birthday," he whispered into my hair, making me smile. When I pulled away I stepped up on my tippy toes and pecked him on the cheek.

"Thank you," I mumbled shyly, feeling a faint blush tint my cheeks.

Jason held up a bag in front of me, and I hadn't noticed it before. "Here, I told you I had it covered." he pulled out a pastel yellow dress that looked like it would come down halfway to my thighs. The top of the dress had shiny gems that led up to a halter neck. I looked up at him in surprise.

"What-?"

"I like yellow on you." he smiled goofily, scratching the back of his neck. "And I got you matching shoes, courtesy of Noah. She said they'd look pretty." he gave me another smile, this time a lot timider and shy than before. He slowly pulled out a pair of silver ballet flats and a small box and handed them to me. "This is from me."

I frowned, "Jason, you got me this dress and it sure doesn't look cheap, and shoes, and something else?" I asked in disbelief. "Are you crazy?"

He shook his head and held the box out in front of me, "Open it." he whispered eagerly. I bit my lip and took the small red box into my hands. Flipping open the case, I let my mouth resemble an o shape as I stared in awe at the dainty necklace in the box.

"Oh wow." I mumbled, letting my finger trace the chain.

"Look at the middle!" he said impatiently, earning a laugh from me. He was so cute when his eyes shone like that. I glanced down at the necklace and felt my smile turn into a grin as I noticed how right in the middle of the necklace stood a pendant that read the letters JH. I chuckled and threw my arms around him.

"I wanted you to have a piece of me when I'm away." he whispered softy, stroking my hair. He pulled back to look me I the eyes, "I also really want you to have fun tonight okay?" he asked for me.

After Jason left for school, I felt drained. Kelsey was busy with Evan, and 'other things', making sure to remind me that we were going out for dinner tonight. Really, it was my birthday party. I pretended to not know and sound excited to spend some quality time together.I still had six hours to go until my party and I had nothing to do at all. Not thinking, I grabbed the keys to the car and walked out the front door. My mom posted a note up on the fridge wishing me a happy birthday. I rolled my eyes at her shitty attempt. I found myself driving to Jason's house, and I was surprised I remembered his address. He took me home from the hospital, stopping at his place to get the get well card from Noah.