Extended Summary and Playlist

How far would you go to stay with your soulmate?

Abby only wants one thing for her senior year of high school: to be normal.

After the worst two years of her life, she's trying to be optimistic about starting over in a new town. In exchange for watching two little boys after school, she gets a free, safe home with a family friend. But starting over isn't as easy as she'd like, especially since she's transferred a month into the semester.

Friends are hard to make when you can't open up to people, so when she gets placed next to loner Sam Durand in a fourth--fourth!-- class, she decides they have enough in common that the friendship might work. Despite his avoidance of everyone in school, he seems to take a liking to Abby and makes a effort in their friendship.

But Sam is hiding secrets of his own-- secrets she discovers before he's ready to tell. She's suddenly plunged into his secret life that has a supernatural twist, and given an opportunity to share his lifestyle. 

But Abby has a secret past of her own that threatens to destroy the simple life she leads, so how can she consider expanding it when every moment is a struggle to simply forget? Her aspiration was to be normal, so the idea of becoming more that mortal is terrifying. Is she ready to give up the dream of normality?

All this comes to a head when Sam and Abby fall for each other. In order for their life together to work, she needs to come clean, but what if Sam no longer wants her after he knows everything? 

[TW: mentions of physical abuse, mentions of rape, eating disorder]

---------------------------

Playlist:

Lovely—Billie Eilish and Khalid

Hurricane—Wafia

Hostage—Billie Eilish

Love—Lana Del Ray

Panic attacks in Paradise—Ashnikko

Lifetime—Justin Bieber

Fall Into Me—Forest Blakk

Stay With Me—Joel Blackmon

Till Forever Falls Apart—Ashe and FINNEAS

Dollhouse—Melanie Martinez

Missing Piece—Vance Joy

-----------------------------------------------------

A/N Hello everyone! I'm so excitedly nervous for you to read this story.

I wrote it ages ago. No, really, it's been over a decade. I wrote it in high school after I had to drop out due to medical reasons. Writing became a coping mechanism, and this is the first story I ever completed. I figured maybe it's time someone saw it.

Please feel free to interact with voting and comments! I would appreciate it so very much.

Cover photo belongs to the (unknown) photographer.

Please enjoy! And please vote and comment!