Chapter 30

In Humanities, the ever exciting class full of unwelcome surprises, Mrs. Reynolds announced that we were taking a field trip.

I'd never been on a fieldtrip before. I was one of those kids in elementary school that never got their permission slips signed and had to spend the day in the library writing some essay instead of going to the zoo or the water recycling plant or whatever. It wasn't worth it to me to ask my mom to sign the slip.

But now I was eighteen, and I didn't need a slip. I was almost excited, until Mrs. Reynolds explained that our field trip would be a hike on a trail on the outskirts of town. Really? A nature walk? Better than nothing, I supposed.

So, that Friday, we met at Mrs. Reynolds class before first period, having been excused from our classes for the hike. What hiking had to do with Humanities beat me, but I was glad to get out of Calculus. Plus it was an extra four hours Sam and I got to spend together.

Sam had a backpack filled with a few water bottles and our lunches so I didn't have to carry anything as we set out a few minutes after school started. It wasn't even eight in the morning, but it was hot already. Why did it have to be hot on the one day we were hiking?

The hike was harder than I thought it was going to be, maybe because of the heat, maybe because I hadn't eaten anything for breakfast. For whatever reason, I found that I was breathing heavy and my skin was wet and clammy.

Sam and I didn't really talk while we hiked the first two hours. He didn't mind, just helped me over ruts and logs in the middle of the trail and passed me water before I had the chance to ask, but I was starting to really feel terrible as we approached our break point.

Just after we got there, I knew I was going to be sick. As soon as everyone was sitting spread around in the small field, I ducked behind a tree and emptied my stomach.

Sam was there in an instant, hands on my back to steady me, murmuring to me. When my stomach was empty, I stumbled to the ground and laid down. "Abigail," Sam said, kneeling down next to me.

"I feel terrible," I admitted.

"Did you eat today?"

I shook my head, then groaned as it made me dizzy.

Sam's protective nature kicked in full-blast. He took off his bandana, poured water on it, and tied it around my head. Once I had consumed half of a water bottle and he was slightly satisfied at my hydration level, he scooped me up in his arms. I was too weak to fight back. "What are you doing?" I asked tiredly instead.

"Taking you home," he said sternly.

"We can't just leave," I protested, resting thankfully against his chest.

"Wanna bet?" he replied just as strict.

I could feel everyone watching us with interest when we started towards the trail. "Sam?" Mrs. Reynolds called.

"I'm taking Abigail home."

I heard Tristan's voice but couldn't tell what he was saying. It must have been something vulgar or provocative because Sam whirled around and snarled at him. My head pounded with the fast movement and I gasped with pain.

"Abigail is sick," Sam growled. His chest vibrated against me. I probably would have laughed at the sensation if I wasn't feeling like death. "I am taking her to the doctor." And then he started down the mountain, me resting weakly in his arms.

I made Sam stop twice on the way back down to the parking lot so I could throw up the water he'd given me. Sam's arms went more and more stiff and rigid with every moan that escaped my throat. His arms were clutching me tight by time we reached his truck half an hour later. It had taken us nearly three hours to go up, but with Sam's strength and immortal-endurance or whatever it was, it took us a fraction of the time.