Fourteen

"Why are we doing this again?" Peyton questions as he flaps his hands, he has a scratchy jumper on which he didn't want to wear. But Kai told him he had to as it was getting cold, which is true because its already nearly winter.

"Because, I want them to meet someone who is very special to me" Cole replies as he fixes his hair in the reflection of the door to his house, Peyton just rolls his eyes. He steps on his tip toes and reaches out, messing Cole's hair up more with a smirk plastered on his face.

Cole slaps his hand away and glares down at the laughing boy.

"Anyway, I thought you said they just think we're friends" Cole goes back to tidying his hair, annoying Peyton because why is he acting so scared? They're just having dinner with Cole's parents.

"That's true, but you haven't met them before and I want to introduce you. Also we are just friends right?" He smirks down to the blushing boy who shoves him away by his elbow.

"Shut up, you know what I mean" does he know what he means, does Peyton knows what he means himself? They've been friends for months now and not long ago have they taken their friendship to the next level, but its not like they are going out. They haven't even had their first date yet.

Does this count as a first date?

Peyton shakes his head of the thought, pulling a grossed out look because he will not have his first date with someone's parents tagging along.

He knows that Cole and his parents aren't that close, it's not like they don't get along but from what Cole has said, they don't really talk much. It's weird having a family like that, where you all live together but you act like strangers.

Peyton could never imagine being like that with his brother. And atleast he knew his parents didn't like him, not that they just chose to ignore him.

"Okay, how do I look?"

"Like you did five minutes ago" Cole's eyebrows furrow and he creases his forehead, squinting his eyes at the smaller boy. "Not helpful" Peyton just stomps his feet becoming impatient.

"Cole, can we just go in? They're probably wondering where we are!" He points his hands towards the door in front of them making Cole chuckle.

"Damn, what's got your knickers in a twist?" Peyton gives Cole the death glare making him put his hands up in surrender with one last laugh, before opening the door.

Peyton masks his frown with a smile when they walk through the door, instantly making eye contact with a women.

She has dark brown hair that falls to her shoulders, deep blue eyes and fair skin. She looks like she has a permanent scowl on her face but she doesn't look too old. Maybe around mid thirties.

"Ah, you must be Peyton, lovely to meet you" she takes long slides until she's in front of the two boys and holds out a boney manicured hand for Peyton to take.

But Peyton doesn't take.

Cole tuts at his mum and moves her hand, "he doesn't do that, just say hi like a normal person" Peyton already wants a hole to appear and swallow him whole. His eyes momentarily widen waiting for her to scream but it doesn't come, instead her face remains impassive.

"Always so charming" she gives her son a look, turning around she struts off into the kitchen, "dinner will be served soon." Her voice doesn't waver or stutter, its powerful and strict- she seems powerful and strict.

Cole takes Peyton's hand and pulls him upstairs to his bedroom with a sigh and a roll of his eyes, "as if she does the cooking anyway" he mutters to himself and slams his door shut.