Chapter 1 - The Kindling

Izuku's POV

"Just pray that you'll be born with a quirk in your next life, and then take a swan dive off the roof of the building."

That idiot... He can't just go around telling people to kill themselves, what if I really jumped? What would he do then?

Now that I think of it, he probably wouldn't care... Even worse, he'd take it as a point of pride. He finally managed to get rid of that useless, quirkless Deku...

I see my journal just floating in the fountain behind the school, some fish biting at it. My dreams have turned into fish food...

"That's enough, give it back." I say as I grab the charred, floating notebook.

As my anger starts to climb, the ring on my chest starts to glow. This always happens when I get mad, ever since I left the bonfire. It's still burning, maybe I could dry out my journal there? Well, I'll have to get home first, then I can worry about that.

"Damn... Stupid jerk!"

I begin my walk home, and find myself daydreaming of long ago. When I first found the bonfire, when me and Kaachan were still close, when I still had hope that I could really be a hero... Before that dream crumbled around me.

Flashback, 10 years ago

"Mom, hurry!"

I ran into the kitchen, clutching an All Might figurine.

"C'mon mom, it's computer time!"

"Already?"

The video was an old one, but it's still my favorite to this day. Old disaster footage, but more importantly, it was the debut of the greatest hero the world has ever known. He saved hundreds of lives that day, and I always hoped to do the same. Until...

"Sorry kid, it's not gonna happen.'

That was the exact moment my life started spiraling downwards. The doctor pointed out the joints and the lack of development, and all of my dreams shattered right then and there. We took some more tests to see if I maybe could have had a quirk even then, but they all came back negative. I was quirkless, and that's all there is to it. Even if they did find some weird energy emissions from my blood, it still wasn't a quirk.

I was useless from that day on. Even my mother couldn't comfort me. I don't blame her for facing the reality of the situation, but still...

That wasn't what I needed to hear...

Present day

I made a decision that day. I'll keep believing in myself, and I'd keep smiling just like him!

...that definitely isn't a smile on my face.

As I walk through the tunnel, I hear an ominous, oozing sound coming from behind me. I turn around to see a massive green figure made of sludge looming over me. As my blood runs stone cold, my body locks up from fear...

"A-a villain!?"

"You'll make a perfect skin suit for me to hide in, kid!"

As I turn to run away, the sludge villain pounces onto me. As it grabs on to me and forces it's way into my body, I feel my breath escape me, and I don't feel it return. It's suffocating me, the damn thing's suffocating me... My vision starts to fade, along with everything else. I can feel my life slipping away from me... this is it...

I vaguely hear a voice, as I feel the sludge fly away from me. I still can't breathe. As I feel something pick me up, I see a blurred yellow thing... All Might? Did All Might save me? Save... I hope he can... I'm getting tired... I'm gonna just... Close my eyes...