Chapter 10 - U.A. Sports Festival

Had to rewrite this chapter 4 times over, that wasn't fun

School was cancelled for the rest of the week after the attack. It's pretty obvious why, everyone went through a pretty traumatic experience, and giving then time to recuperate was the only real decision. Can't say I'm not happy about it. Gave me some time to spend with Ochako, who hasn't left my side. Even took me with her to see her parents, all the way out in Mie. Hands down, the most awkward situation of my life... first they're all over Ochako since they thought she was dead, which, well, is to be expected. If my daughter was killed, I would be ecstatic to find out she was alive too.

But then they started questioning me on why I was with her, and then interrogated me about what black magic I used to bring her back. Sure, they were half-joking, but that was still such a long day...

We made it back to Musutafu, and we've decided to stop at the bonfire. Honestly, we should've expected something weird to be there this time, it's becoming basic procedure at this point.

"Hey Izu?"

I like the new nickname she gave me. At least it's replaced "Deku." She may have changed the meaning of the name, but it still had that old meaning, lurking behind me whenever that name was brought up. It mostly went away after I beat Kaachan in the battle training, but I really don't have to worry about it at all anymore. Good to finally put that all behind me.

"What is it?"

"What's that thing in the fire?"

I looked over to see... some sort of stick. It was about 4 feet long, made of wood, and the end was weirdly misshapen, zigzagging around until it ended on a big knot. I picked it up, and felt some sort of energy within it, but I couldn't place it.

"Hm... I feel like there's something to this staff, but I don't really know what it is... here, you try."

I handed the staff off to her, and as she grabbed ahold of it, a slight blue glow was let off from it.

"Huh? It's... glowing? Why is it..."

Before she could finish, the glow of the staff began to move, concentrating near her hand. It grew brighter and brighter, bright enough to hurt my eyes, before the glow just stopped. I looked back to her, and the glow was now travelling up her arm and spreading across her.

"Um... Ochako, are you alright?"

She nodded, but otherwise didn't respond. she looked like she was overwhelmed with something, but I couldn't tell what.

"I... I don't really feel much different, but... This stick... You were right, it's special. I can feel... Some sort of connection. It's really hard to explain, but... I think I've figured out what the staff does."

Staff?

As I finished the thought, Ocha closed her eyes, and the blue glow returned. She stood there motionless, in a trance of her own, focusing on the staff like it was the only thing in the world. As she did, the glow started to move again, this time concentrating near the top. As all the energy collected at the top, her eyes shot open, and pushed the staff forward. As soon as she did, all the energy from the staff shot forward from the tip, flying through the air like an arrow.

"Whoa! What was that!? You just, just... shot it! How did you shoot the stick!?"

She cracked up laughing at my outburst, while I just stood there dumbfounded. What the hell did she just do?

"Ah.. ah ha... ha... I, I just focused on it, and well... I shot the stick! It just kinda worked! Not sure how I knew to do that, but I'll take it!"

"That barely helps!"