Chapter 15 - Skylines Ablaze

Merry Christmas, ya filthy animals

The Abyss keeps spreading. It's been a week since the attack, and we've only been lightly probing it and trying to keep the growth in check. It isn't working. It's spread a few miles so far, and we're running out of options. Nuclear force isn't currently on the table, since the cavern is just so deep that the blast wouldn't be able to really affect whatever that thing at the bottom is.

Well, officially they've only been probing and setting up perimeters, at least. From what I can tell, absorbing souls and gaining strength from them is the most effective way of fighting the Abyss. And since the watchers aren't around anymore, that makes things a whole lot easier.

Of course, fighting darkwraiths is still absurdly dangerous, and I don't want anyone dying. At least, not permanently.

"So, where are we going again, man?"

I ducked under a tree branch, Kirishima following behind me.

"Remember how I said I got my powers from a bonfire?"

"Yeah? What doe- Oh. Ohhh..."

"You said you wanted to fight back the Abyss, and it's just so damn dangerous to do it without some sort of safety net. From what I can tell, the only downside of becoming undead is that you lose your emotions and "humanity" when you die, which isn't really a problem since the Abyss is made of the stuff. I'd say it's our best bet."

"Alright then, count me in!"

We reached the bonfire, and sat down in front of it.

"So... what now?"

Uh... I just realized I don't actually know how this works. I didn't thing this through enough...

"Um, well with Ochako she just reached into the fire, and-"

"Wait, wait wait, she reached into it? And it didn't burn the heck outta her?"

"Nope. It's not all that hot, even inside the flames. Just pleasantly warm, all the way through."

"Man, this thing is confusing." He said, as he reached forward. He slowly moved forward, his hand shaking slightly as he got closer, until he touched the edge of the flames.

"Heh... you weren't kidding. It really isn't hot... what even is this thi-"

He stopped. He stared at the flame, and his eyes widened, and though I couldn't see what he was seeing, I had a guess. He pulled his hand out of the flame, and with it came a little white wisp of flame, dancing in the still air above his palm.

"What... is this?"

"A soul. Something we don't seem to have, but the old world the flame comes from did. Crush it in your hand, and you become an undead. At least, I'm pretty sure that's what does it. It worked for me and Ocha, at least."

Without a word, he crushed it in his hand. His eyes lit up, literally, and he gasped for air as the white light traveled across his body. The light died down, and a ring of orange light emanated from his chest.

"I-I-"

"I was speechless too. With a soul, you feel more... yourself. Weird at first, but it's definitely a good thing. Just... don't think about the implications much."

"Heh, probably a good idea. I got a soul now, and that's what counts! So, anyways, why is it you brought me here, made me an undead, like you?"

"I was wondering when you'd ask that... well, we both know the Abyss is spreading, and it's not stopping."