AVENGERS ASSEMBLE (1)

𓆩✪𓆪

CLASSIFIED

CLASSIFIED

Patrick stands shoulder to shoulder with Doctor Selvig as he looks over the readings from the Tesseract. She tilts her head, red hair brushing his arm which has him shuffling away from her as she watches carefully, "What's it doing now?"

"It's taking the readings."

She hums in thought, then moves around him to stand on his other side. Her hands reach to touch a computer screen and he slaps it away, "And now?"

"Still taking the readings-"

"Interesting." She hums, accent thick in his ear, a mix of Russian from her father and Queens from her time living there, "Okay, what about that-"

"It's taking the readings." He snaps, pushing her at arm's length, "Can you please give me some space. Go and bother agent Barton."

She sighs leaning back against a table behind herself and tinkering with the equipment he has laying around as he continues to assess the pulsing cube. She lifts what looks like a giant pair of tweezers and snaps them in his ear.

He jumps with a startled gasp and rips them from her hands, setting them down with a harsh clang against the metal countertop.

"Barton sent me here, to watch you."

"Watch me?"

"Or the cube thing." She lifts a hand in a weak unbothered gesture towards the tesseract.

She tilts her head at it, trying not to get too close, she doesn't want the same thing to happen to her as last time she got too close.

She still hears the cries of that woman sometimes. She'd try to bring it up with Clint, but backed out before she could fully explain and passed it off as a simple dream she'd had and not a vision while staring into the Tesseract.

Clint had suggested maybe it was a memory. She'd blown that off instantly. Her mother died giving birth to her.

"Talk to me, Doctor."

"Director?" Selvig rises at the familiar voice and starts carefully walking down the steps leaving behind his 'pest' as he affectionately calls Patrick.

"Is there anything we know for certain?"

He meets Fury halfway as he explains what's wrong with the Tesseract, "Is that supposed to be funny?"

The pair approach where Patrick lounges and Fury taps her shoulder twice to get her to straighten up, "No, it's not funny at all. The Tesseract is not only active... she's behaving."

"She?" Patrick asks, "You're talking about it as if it's living."

"She is."

"I assumed you pulled the plug?" Patrick follows them as they walk further down the runway.