Chapter 18

It was a week or so later that Hope was with Klaus, sipping a peanut butter blast whipped cream on the bottom as they walked through the woods. They had made more hybrids than Hope felt comfortable making, though she was unsure of if that was because it was against their will or because she knew that they would all be dead soon. But she had forced down her guilt that kept growing and instead focused on searching for a way back while enjoying what time she had with her father.

Her notebook was filled with a lot of scratch work on trying to reverse the spell. It was tiring, wondering if she wasn't smart enough or if she just wasn't trying hard enough. Because she knew once she left that she would never see her dad again. Not until she herself died. For good. Maybe she would see him briefly while triggering her vampire side, whenever that would be.

Suddenly, Klaus's phone was ringing, and she looked over at him curiously, listening carefully. "Portland is fantastic once you can get over all the whiney music and healthy-looking people. It's literally a breeding ground for werewolves" her father said to whoever was on the phone.

"Your father's dead" said Stefan Salvatore's voice on the other end of the conversation

"What did you say to me?"

"Oh, my mistake. Not your actual father, and not dead. Mikael. Daggered. What do you want me to do with the body?"

"Well, first, I want you to explain to me exactly what happened" Klaus said and listened intently as Stefan explained what had happened to Mikael. "I want to see him. I want to see his rotting body for myself"

Hope continued listening, knowing Mikael had been killed around this time but not knowing the exact details.

"Well, he's here. Come by whenever" Stefan Salvatore said, causing Hope to frown a little

"If you're lying to me, Stefan, your compulsion will expose you. So answer with your life. Is what you're saying the truth?" Klaus asked him

"It's true. I saw it with my own eyes"

"I want to talk to Rebekah."

Hope couldn't help but smile slightly at the thought of her aunt Rebekah.

"That's not a problem. She's right here"

There was a small pause before Rebekah answered on the other line.. "Hello, Nik"

"Rebekah, love. What's this I hear about Mikael's tragic run-in with a dagger?" Klaus asked.

"It's true. He's finally out of our lives for good." Rebekah replied, though her voice sounded just very very slightly off. "I miss you. I'm miserable here"

"I'll be home soon"

"Good. I'll see you then, brother"

Klaus lowered his phone and looked over at Hope, who felt a little uneasy about the whole thing. "What is it?" he asked, noticing her expression.

"I dont know. Its probably nothing" Hope said, finishing her shake.

"You feel something is off, don't you?" Klaus questioned and nodded. "I do as well. Though I still wish to return. But we will have control over time and place and take precautions, just in case. And if they do have some plan to kill me off, I will have a plan for retaliation"

Hope frowned. "Why risk going back at all?" she said, looking at him.

"I need to eventually for the doppelganger anyways, and if Mikael is indeed daggered, then I can store him away safely and find the weapon he planned to use against me"

The tribrid nodded and took a deep breath. "Alright. Let's go then"

"Not yet, I have a few hybrids I need to talk to. Go to the car, I will be there shortly"