Chapter Six

Hope approached the mansion and walked inside, showing Klaus the necklace. "I got it." She said, looking at him.

Klaus grinned standing up from the couch and setting his now empty glass down. "I had no doubt you would." He smirked as he observed the necklace in her hand. "Come. I will need your help for what I want to do with it." He said giving her a look.

"I'll do what you need me to do" Hope nodded slightly and went over towards him, ready to follow him if he wanted her to contact Esther somewhere else.

Klaus gave her a small nod and led her further into the house, eventually choosing to step inside his art room. He left the door open for her and began to cover up most of his paintings, not only did he not feel like looking at them but he also didn't have any interest in having Hope see them either.

Hope followed Klaus into the art room and looked around a little before looking at Klaus. She then started doing what he needed her to do. She nearly grimaced at the words the witches told her about being an abomination. But she kept her face neutral and focused on Esther Mikaelson. She then opened her eyes again and set the necklace down on an art table.

Klaus was observing Hope carefully, his mind reeling with thoughts about what it would be like once he got an answer from his mother. He would finally be able to create hybrids. To make others like him.
Perhaps then, he wouldn’t feel so alone or out of place. Perhaps then, he would truly belong.

"She said you need to kill the doppelganger to create more hybrids", she said, she said, hoping Klaus would figure out it meant the opposite. He must have last time.

Klaus frowned “Well clearly that’s not it. I did kill the doppelgänger. I did the ritual perfectly.” Otherwise the curse wouldn’t have broken anyway. “Tell me. How exactly did she tell you? Was it easy?  Did you simply ask and she answered?”

"It seemed too easy. I asked, and she answered. She said you couldnt make hybrids if Elena was alive.  But... now that I'm thinking about it, why would she want to help you create more hybrids? She put the curse on you in the first place. Wouldnt it be a cruel, dramatic irony if needing to kill her in the ritual was exactly what prevented you from creating hybrids?" She paused, frowning thoughtfully. "I mean, most
witches think of you as an abomination. I dont. But like you said, I've been the only one so far. And most witches are all about the balance of nature. If they thought you were an abomination, why would she want to help you create more?"

“Exactly.” He mumbled, agreeing with her. “She would never give up that information. Part of me hoped she would, but I certainly didn’t think it would happen in the first five seconds you asked. I was truthfully preparing myself for some type of blackmail. However if she told you, then I know she was lying. Besides. I doubt the doppelgänger’s death would affect my hybrids. The problem doesn’t come initially.  They do turn. The problem comes with the...” He trailed off as he suddenly got an idea.

“The transition. The second I feed them human blood they begin to die. What if...” His eyes widened slightly. “I had to kill the doppelgänger to break the curse. It was the way she made it be. Because she knew that once I killed her, there would never be another hybrid to walk the earth. Or abomination as she’d call it. What she didn’t count on, was Elena Gilbert having the entire town of Mystic Falls trying to save her life.”

"So you think you need her blood to complete the transition of your hybrids?" Hope guessed even though she knew the answer. Stefan's journals hadn't been detailed about everything that had happened. But she knew that much. "I mean, I guess it would make sense" she said with a nod. "That way she ensures you would never create another hybrid. That you would be the only one of your kind forever."

Klaus scoffed softly at his current thoughts. “Yes. Well. That does sound exactly like her.” He lowered his gaze to the floor. “It’s funny. All this time I spent it trying to break her curse so that I may be my true self. Yet now I realize, that was not the real curse. Or at least not all of it. Her curse was dooming me to suffer from one of the cruelest fates. The ultimate curse. To finally be a hybrid, and yet be forced to walk the earth alone for the rest of eternity. With no one to understand or...” He exhaled softly and shook his head. “Forget it. It matters not. Now I know what I have to do and soon enough I will have an army by my side.”

Hope looked over at him, her gaze a bit soft. She knew how it felt to be the only one of your kind. To feel completely alone, like no one could understand what it felt like. She sighed softly and loooked away, nodding a little. "Well, fortunately, her plans did not go as she wished. So now you can make the hybrids you want. Assuming our theory is correct. Arent there werewolves in this town you can test it on? What was their name? The Lockwoods?"

Klaus nodded though his thoughts were still on his mother. He briefly wondered if she truly hated him that much, that all she wanted was to make him suffer. Did she not know how miserable he was? “Right.
The Lockwoods.” He said absentmindedly before slowly coming back to reality. “How did you know that?” He frowned. “About the Lockwoods?”

"I do my research on towns with supernatural activity. And that sure includes this town" Hope replied, chuckling softly as she thought about the history of this town. "Its better to know a good bit more than necessary than to know too little. I personally haven't met any Lockwoods or anything. But I do know about them." She was slightly worried she had overstepped. That she showed she knew too much. But she hoped he would believe what she said. It wasnt the first time she had lied or withheld the truth.

Besides, it was true. In a way at least. "Its easier to find details about a small town's supernatural species than about, say, the vampires in New York or New Orleans. Or California"

Klaus raised an eyebrow as he listened to her. He didn’t know her well enough to be able to tell if she was lying or not. But he also didn’t dismiss the possibility. Everyone was guilty to him until proven innocent.

“Well. I suppose I do not disagree. However I am simply surprised. Their werewolf curse isn’t something many are aware about unless you go back a few generations. You seem so young I didn’t take you for a history fanatic.”

It was clear he was suspicious, but not to the point where he grew too paranoid. Simply to the point when he would be researching more about her as soon as he got the chance.

  "Well, you haven't known me long enough. I've done plenty of research throughout the years" Hope said, looking at him. "I enjoy reading as well as painting. And training." She looked at him, clearly honest about her words this time. She also looked a little pained. "And my family thought it was important for me to know supernatural history. But my hobbies aren't exactly what is important right now" she reminded him.

Klaus observed her curiously, noticing the slight pain in her eyes. Eyes that looked very similar to his own now that he thought about it. “Hm. It appears we have some things in common.” He said quietly. It was strange. He never identified so well with another person before.

Especially not one who was so dedicated to helping him. “But you’re right. Testing out our theory with the werewolves is what is important right now. I’ll gather up some blood from the doppelgänger.”

Hope nodded at his words and inhaled sharply before heading out of the art room, trying to keep her emotions in check. She's done it before. She had to watch Landon be with Josie. Watch Josie being jealous of her and acting hostile. Dr. Saltzman looking at her as though she was a stranger. She could handle this. No matter how much it hurt.