Chapter 32

After Hope was sent back to the past (to 2010) and disappeared from the present, Josie Saltzman's dark alter ego was nearly about to kill another student (like she had killed Alyssa Chang), when Lizzie Saltzman interrupted her, arriving with Milton Greasley by her side. The blonde siphoner agreed to do the merge that was likely to kill her. If it didn't get anyone else killed, she didn't have much of a choice, despite the fact she had been close to running away.

"Siphon me. You've got to be at full strength." Milton Greasley, MG, said as he held out his hand for Lizzie to take. He needed to do whatever he could to help her.

Lizzie ignored the hand and put her hand on the back of his neck as she pressed her lips to his. Her other hand moved to his cheek as she continued to kiss him, ignoring the crowd that was still around the match. Her lips lingered on his as she siphoned some but not too much, unable to help herself from wanting this to be part of his last memory of her. But she also wanted it to be part of her last memory if this went south and she died. It was bad enough that she had seen Hope disappear in front of her eyes, but she was now about to die herself, and this had been her last opportunity to kiss MG, something she had forced herself to believe she hadn't wanted but was something she had since he came to the school. She knew she wasn't good enough for him, though she was getting better, becoming a better person, if she was about to die, which she was sure she was, then she didn't want to go out without kissing him.

When she finally pulled away from him, the siphoner made sure her facial expressions were composed as the lie escaped her lips. "Just for the record, that was for me and not you," she said to MG, who was shocked at what had just occurred. She knew she only had a minute before Josie forced her to get started, so she quickly added. "Whatever happens next, once it's done, go get the hobbit. Tell him Hope disappeared. That the evil hot topic version of my sister did something to her."

"I will. I promise" MG said.

Lizzie gave him a weak attempt at a smile before heading over to Josie. "Now it's time for me to kick your ass"

The Saltzman twins did the Merge, and they both collapsed, the room now dark. It didn't take long for Alaric Saltzman to rush into the room with horror over what had occurred, and soon Josie Saltzman woke up, black veins still visible on her body. She left the school, satisfied by the turns of events, and MG carried Lizzie to the headmaster's office, where they waited for her to wake up.

"Go find Landon." Alaric finally said.

"But Lizzie-" MG began, not wanting to leave her side until she woke up.

"-would want you to tell him the moment he wakes up. You can come back after. And remember, don't tell anyone she might come back. Not unless we are having the discussion here. Things didn't go according to plan. He needs to know"

MG swallowed hard and looked at Lizzie's temporary corpse before quickly heading out to find Landon. The sooner Landon woke up and MG could pass on the message, the sooner he could get back to Lizzie. He found Landon's temporarily dead corpse on the dock with Rafael standing beside it, and MG arrived just in time to see him burst into flames. When the flames settled down, Landon burst free of the ash casing around his body and stood up. Ignoring the ash on his body that was all too familiar to him, he looked around and blinked in surprise at the sight of MG.

"What's going on?" Landon questioned, confused at the sight of MG. "Aren't you supposed to be with Hope and Lizzie?"

"We need you back at the school" the vampire replied.

"Now? I'm kind of dealing with another issue too" Landon said, glancing at Rafael, who hadn't said a word since Landon came back from the dead. Not since they were no longer alone. He wasn't sure if it would be a good or horrible idea to tell MG. He didn't want Rafael getting hurt.