Our broken pieces

        the thing with broken clocks
is that you can always tell
         exactly
             when they stopped ticking

         with people it isn't so easy
and sometimes
           you can't even tell
                             they're broken

                             (n.h)

¦ ».* :☆゚. ───            KATHERINE VIOLET GILBERT ; if you asked the people of Mystic Falls, they would say that Kate was an angel walking among humans— an enigma wrapped in a vestige of kindness and innocence, dark hair that rivalled the waves, a smile that could melt the sun and a glare that could cut through stars— she was the town's darling that couldn't be more perfect if she tried.

The eldest of three, Kate managed to be a second mother to her twin sister Elena and younger brother Jeremy, and often to her best friends too.

All was good till the summer of her junior year.

It was the last day of classes, the last unofficial day of their junior year at Mystic Falls High. Elena had snuck out to the annual junior's and senior's party in the woods, and right from her open window, so had Kate, in her pursuit.

Despite the guilt of abandoning game night with her aunt Jenna, she held no regrets as she got buzzed on the cheap alcohol Elena had handed to her and the cheers that enabled her exhilaration.

It was her first time being a miscreant. She was going to tell Tyler she liked him, she was going to go home and get scolded like every normal teenager.

Only, that wasn't what happened.

Like a butterfly effect, her first and only slight divergence made her parents drive out into the woods instead of staying home. They had wrangled Kate and Elena into the car and had been driving over the Wickery Bridge, when life as Kate knew, ended.