4

🍸

SAN promised himself that when your paths cross once again, that that summer getaway with you and his friends wouldn't be the last time he'll see you and your pretty face — he would take the risk.

Take the risk, give his heart a chance — give love a chance — and pursue you. And if you say no, he'll wait for you.

San isn't the type to give up once he wants something, or someone, rather. That's how sure he is of you. 

And now, here you were, sitting in front of him inside a vintage-looking café, the side of your lips messily smeared with whipped cream.

Seeing you being confused made San chuckle. But when a pout graces your cute, small, pink lips, he coughs out loud. He grabs his handkerchief and hands it to you.

"Wipe your lips." 

"Oh, so that's why you were stifling a laugh." You said in utter realization and let out a soft chuckle of your own. "And no, it's okay. Remember that black hanky you gave me that night? I-I still have it y'know." You smiled at him shyly and took the cloth out of your bag. You intended to bring it with you whenever and wherever incase you bump into one of the boys or San himself.

Then, you quickly wiped your whole mouth not missing a single spot because it would've been embarrassing looking like a mess — once again — in front of San. See, you're quite a messy eater yourself. 

"Uh, I actually washed this already but seeing it got dirty again, I'll just give it back to you some other time. Is that oka-"

San doesn't let you finish on your obvious rambling and takes the matter in his hands. Because, you did miss a single spot.

Taking the handkerchief from your hold, he grasps it in his and wipes the corner of your mouth clean. 

But he was too close. And he knew it. Was it on purpose? Maybe. However, you on the other hand wasn't taking it well due to the close proximity.

"There, all clean." San drags out his words a little longer all the while his warm breath, one that smelled of mint and smoke and strawberries from the cake he ate, ghosted over and tickled your lips.

"T-Thank you!" You squeaked out, one habit you can't help but do whenever you're embarrassed or shy or feeling like a deer caught in the headlights.

And in this case, you were, and San was the light that burned through your skin.

Just when you thought San was going to move away and lean back on his seat, he doesn't.

The feeling of your hair tie being loosened caught you off guard. The next thing you knew, it was already in San's hold and he was staring at you painfully hard and long, yet, the look in his eyes was still the softest you've ever seen.

"San, what are you-"

"You look better with your hair down." San smiles at you cheekily. Now, he didn't lie, but somehow he did. Because the true reason why he did that was because he couldn't stand seeing your pretty neck displayed around for him and others to see. 

God knows what he would do if he didn't do that.

"Okay? But can you give my hair tie back?"

"Nope." San playfully says and stuffs the black hair tie in his pocket. He decides that he'll keep it in the meantime. "I'll give it back to you the same day you give my handkerchief back. Is it a deal?" 

You huffed. Because, frankly, you don't know if you can handle another day, another next time, with San being like this around you.

Just the two of you. No Wooyoung. No other friends of his.

Still, you find yourself nodding.

"Fine, it's a deal."

🍸

Next time came quickly. And San couldn't help but feel ecstatic. Even his friends had to question his random jumps and hops around their dorm because it was out of character.

"San, can you come sit for a second?" Hongjoong ushers him to the high stool located by the kitchen countertop where the others are currently eating their breakfast.

San being dragged there couldn't do anything but just sit upon the elder's request. And since he was already there, he figured maybe he should just eat breakfast as well. Excitement overshadowed his hunger, he guesses.

However, as soon as he fills up his plate with eggs and bacon, he gets startled when Seonghwa, who was sitting in front of him, slams a fork on the marble top — the fork, just centimetres away from his own plate.

San gulps down hard. Did he do something wrong? Something out of the line?

"You're strangely so giddy today, Choi. It's a little bit suspicious." Oh….oh. 

Oh.

San laughs knowing it was nothing serious all along.

"What's funny?" Mingi, the last one who woke up, asked as he rubbed his still sleepy eyes.

"So that's what this is all about?" San raises an eyebrow, a smirk curling the side of his lips upward, his body leaning a bit forward to the countertop.

"Can someone please tell me what's going on?" Mingi, who was lost in confusion, just stands there. Thankfully, Jongho pulls him to sit beside him and tells him all the details he missed while he was deep in slumber.

"Yeah. So are you telling or not?" Yeosang inquires. "Or shall we have to bring the two Jung's here before you finally speak?"

"I really didn't wanna tell y'know." San huffs, almost sulkily. He wanted to take things slow and not have his friends mendling and influencing whatever moves and genuine, heartfelt strategies he's taking to make Elle see through him and his intentions.

On second thoughts, maybe he could tell them, but not specifically. Just make it vague, then he will leave the rest to their intuition and imagination.

And that's what he did. 

"Your friend is in love." San tells them, just right when everybody was silent and all their attention was fixed on him.

And then, despite the chaos he made and the questions being thrown in the air, San leaves.

He leaves with a blooming sensation creeping right through his chest, his cheeks, perhaps dusted with pink tints.

He laughs to himself and throws his car keys in the air and quickly catches it before he walks — dances — towards his beloved vehicle.