8

🍸

HOW can he act like it was just nothing?

You stared at San's flexed back with fire in your eyes. The latter was unaware all the while he searched for a comfy spare blanket for you to get warmed up in.

Your train of thoughts ended up with you staring back at your neatly bandaged arm. Are you ready to go back to that deserted house? Surely, you can't stay here forever, right?

A loud sigh was heard inside the room and you didn't even know it came from you — being too deep inside your head.

But San heard it. He heard you.

"What's the matter, Elle?" San asks, abandoning the pile of blankets in the cabinet as he turns and approaches your form on Seonghwa's bed.

"I heard you sigh. You must be thinking a lot of things inside that pretty little head of yours, huh." Despite the sweet, teasing smile etched on San's face, you can't help but feel irritated.

There he goes again with the word pretty.

Pretty face.

Pretty little head.

What else?

"Are you doing this on purpose?" Your question was straightforward and may appear a little vague to some, but you know San understands.

He's not dumb.

"What? What am I doing on purpose?" 

You scoff at his antics. Is he for real?

"Don't play dumb, San."

You expected him to reply but you simply got none. To your dismay, San only hums — the corner of lips curled up with mirth.

You just watched him chuckling in front of you.

"Oh, but I'm not dumb, sweetheart." San's eyes twinkled with amusement as he looked down at you, and before you knew it, he'd already come to sit with you on the bed. San cups your cheeks in his rough palms — face close enough to make your heart beat quickly.

San searches your face for a moment — trying to see something through you. But it seems like you won't make a move unless he does.

It makes him feel like what you said that night and with him, hearing it, was like a fever dream.

So he asks the question that bugged him since that phone call.

"Baby, did you mean it?" 

You freeze in his hold, pulse even higher than before. The endearment getting through you faster than you processing what he meant by 'did you mean it'.

"B-Baby?" Your irises shook as you stared back at him.

"You didn't answer my question." San pouts ever so lightly that it astonishes you at how fast he can go from being playful to cute.

"I don't know what you mean." Now, it was your turn to play dumb and it makes San giggles to the point he has too boop your nose.