Girlfriends

Sue's POV

The past month has been wonderful. Emily and I have made it official and we've been doing very well, except for the fact we've been keeping things hushed on social media as to not set off Mary. She's been lurking—checking all of Emily's story posts, still contacting Emily wanting to get back together, and trying to see if there is any sign of me in her life in a more than friendly way. Our friends know we are together but it's still this big secret from Mary and, to be quite honest, it was starting to annoy me.

"Hey, babe." A voice from behind me said. I turned around and Emily was walking out of my bedroom in a big t-shirt and her underwear underneath.

I looked her up and down as she approached me and leaned in for a kiss. Our lips met for a moment, and I still couldn't get over the feeling I get every time I kiss her. We pulled apart and she smiled at me. "Good morning, my love. I just made up a pot of coffee—help yourself."

She nodded and kissed me on the cheek before walking over to the counter. I was sitting at the kitchen island and watched as she took a coffee mug out of my cabinet and poured the fresh pot of coffee into it. She put in a spoonful of sugar and a splash of milk and began stirring. She leaned on the kitchen island across from me, her elbows resting on the top with her mug resting in both hands.

"I'm so lucky to have you back in my life," She blurted out, looking in her cup before looking back up at me.

I smiled and reached my hand forward, gently placing it on top of hers on the mug, "I'm so glad you said that because I actually want to talk to you."

She looked taken aback, "...okay?" She started, moving her hand so she was holding mine now. "Is everything okay?"

She looked nervous and I squeezed her hand and nodded, "Everything is okay. I—just, I wanted to talk about the whole going public thing... like you know... online? There are so many photos I want to post of us together and I want everyone to know you're my girl. It's been over a month now, Em, don't you think we can be open completely about it now?"

Emily kissed my hand twice, staring at me between each kiss. "You want to post pictures of me?" She asked, smirking with her eyebrow raised.

I laughed, "Well, obviously. I mean... you are my girlfriend after all."

"I love hearing you say that." She said, her voice soft and hand squeezing mine again. "I love that you are my girlfriend, and you're right—I don't see why we can't make it more public. Mary is probably over it by now."

Hearing Emily mention Mary annoyed me every time she did honestly. I was jealous—I was jealous the moment I saw her picture on Emily's Instagram page after breaking up with my ex. The feeling was inexplainable. And then when I clicked to Mary's page and realized it was very apparent that they were a couple, jealousy set in even more. To say I wasn't jealous of Mary over the past few months they were together while I was here would be a lie. When I'd see Emily give her affection, I wanted that to be me. When Emily would tell me she couldn't hang out because she was spending alone time with Mary, I wanted that to be me.

Of course, I didn't expect Emily to wait around for me when I was in my past abusive relationship for over two years. But I think something in me hoped she would and it's very selfish for me to even think that way.

"You there, Sue?" Emily said, shaking my hand and knocking me out of my thoughts.

I shook my head and nodded, "Yeah, sorry. I'm here."

Emily let go of my hand and walked over to the other side of the island so she was sitting next to me on the stool. She took a sip of her coffee and then placed it down on the kitchen island. Looking at me, she reached for my hand again. "What are you thinking about, baby?"