Preface

Since the beginning, Charlie has always had his K9 companion, Bear (picture above), with him. When Isabella was born, the Chief made sure to have both of their scents all over her car seat and brought home one of her baby blankets to ease Bear into having a baby around. Once they were released, the humans took longer to adjust to the baby being around than the Dutch shepherd. As Isabella grew, she and the dog had a special bond. She was his human, and he was her dog.

🕯️ ͟͟͞͞➳🕷🕯️

At the age of four, Charlie and Rene started arguing a lot more than usual. When Rene started yelling at Charlie, Bear guarded Charlie and Isabella. The barking, growling, and screaming scared poor baby Isabella. Adding crying into the chaos, Bear stops and checks on the tiny being. Turning his head for a slight second was enough for Rene to slap Charlie. The skin-to-skin contact echoed throughout the small two-bedroom house. The sound triggers Bear to pounce on Rene and pin her to the ground, barking like a maniac as if telling her off for touching his more significant human. "Bear!" Still in shock at what happened, Charlie knows he needs to gain control of at least his best friend. "No, kennel now!" Bear reluctantly goes to his kennel, his eyes never leaving Rene's figure, not trusting her anymore. Rene grabs Isabella and packs up. Hours later, she leaves, taking the tiny human with her.

 ☽🕯️ ͟͟͞͞➳🕷🕯️

Years pass, Charlie and Rene have divorced, and the small being comes home sometimes. She gets bigger every time she leaves. Eventually, she goes and never returns. Bear became depressed, causing him to retire after ten years of serving next to his human. The two have a silent agreement that they only have each other. No one else will ever come between them again. When Isabella turns fifteen, Bear dies of old age. Charlie calls his daughter with the sad news. She broke down and regretted not visiting her best friend.

   Charlie grieved for his best friend for a year before the department took it among themselves. They didn't like seeing their Chief and friend so hurt, so they got a younger Dutch Shepherd for their K9 department. At first, Charlie didn't know how to feel; he didn't want to replace Bear. Seeing the new puppy, Charlie felt like Bear was reincarnated. After going through their training, Shadow and Charlie became closer than ever, but she could tell how hesitant he was with her.