XI

Chapter 11

Monday morning soon rolled around, unfortunately it came with school and a migraine the size of a moose.

My house had turned into a construction site when I'd woken up this morning, something about a kitchen refurbishment. Sounded like hell to me.

I all but drag myself out of bed and into the shower, letting the scorching water relax the knots in my back. I really think I need to let Katie take me along to her next massage therapy session.

Once I've wasted half an hour, I take to Advil before getting dressed into ripped mom jeans, a black cropped turtleneck and a checkered flannel. I pair it with my docs, absolutely no shock there, and put a layer of lipgloss on.

Greta appears at my bedroom door when I open it, a brown paper bag in hand and a cream cheese bagel in the other. I groan in delight, hugging her and kissing her on both cheeks before taking them both from her.

I really need to get Greta a kick ass Christmas present.

Lexi was no where to be seen, probably oversleeping considered Jared's car wasn't in the drive when I left the house.

I really didn't want to deal with classes today, maybe that was what prompted me to say what I did to Katie when I got in her car this morning.

"We should skip today."  The words were out of my mouth before I could think them through and Katie slammed on her breaks just as she'd begun pulling out of my driveway.

She gaped at me, her eyes wide. "Sorry? Do you want to repeat that?"

I felt myself blush from embarrassment, it was stupid of me to suggest it anyway. If my parents found out they'd have my head.

But surprisingly, I didn't care today.

"I just have a bad feeling about today. Ignore me, I'm being silly." I tried to brush it off.

"A bad feeling? Like about what?" She asked.

I fidgeted in my seat and played with the ends of my checkered shirt. Discomfort swirled in my gut.

"It doesn't matter, lets just go. Do you want coffee before school?" I changed the subject, trying to shove my body's warnings to the back of my head.

"Duh? What kind of question is that." But the look on her face told me enough.

She knew something was wrong, too.

Everyone was staring at school.

I tried my best to ignore it and had even sneaked into the bathroom between classes to make sure i didn't have something on my face. Erika Pearson had even whispered to me in english that a kid behind us had been staring at me all throughout class and had asked me why. I didn't have the slightest clue to tell her.

I'd long come to the conclusion that Jared had something to do with this. It wouldn't take a genius, not after spending ten years of my life being subjected to his cruelty. But what irked me more than the whispers was that not surprisingly..Jared wasn't in school.

Where the hell is he? And better yet why do I care?

At lunch, I'd ordered vegan lasagna and listened to Katie babble about Nick's parents and wanting her to go around for lunch on the weekend but apparently the last time she went his mom insinuated that she wasn't the kind of girl who stuck around and tried to ignore the people giggling behind me.