V

Chapter five.

The following week after we had just headed into December. Which meant that we were also getting closer to Katie's birthday.

Every year Katie and I head to her parents log cabin up state, just a four hour drive from here in Green Hill, Virginia. Her parents would take us for the weekend up until now. We were old enough to be trusted on our own this time, Katie was overjoyed by this. She had already started planning out what we would be doing whilst we were there.

"So," my best friend says as she opens my bedroom door. I sat up from where I was currently reading on my bed and look up at her. She must have changed after school because now she is wearing black leggings and one of Nicks hoodies. "I think that we should go skiing whilst we're there."

"Where?" I ask, frowning and she suddenly sighs, rolling her eyes before shutting my door and coming to join me on my bed.

"My parents cabin, duh."

"Skiing?" I Ask hesitantly.

"Yeah. We haven't done it in years and it always snows there this time of year so why not? It'll be fun." She shrugs, playing with a loose thread on the edge of my grey blanket.

"Kate there's a reason we don't ski anymore. I'm terrible at it." I remind her, almost wincing from the reminder.

Four years ago Kate and I had finally decided to try skiing. Because we were younger and had never done it before, we never wanted to because we were scared. But this year we had so desperately wanted to do so, so we begged and begged for Mr and Mrs Holmes to let us.

We all got on to the ski lifts in pairs apart from Jared who was apparently a "pro" and I can remember feeling physically sick as we climbed higher and higher up the slope.

I had a huge phobia of heights that of course, I hadn't mentioned at the time and because I was so sick with worry, I fell flat on my ass the moment the skis touched the snow.

Katie had laughed her ass off, and I had been so embarrassed. I didn't want to seem like a loser so i got back up on shaky legs and decided to take another go, only to go flying down the slope uncontrollably. I was shaking and unbalanced, screaming my bloody head off. Katie had raced after me in a desperate attempt of stopping me, calling my name which had caught the attention of Jared too. He had tried to help too, turning in my direction and skiing towards me but it was already too late. I slipped, falling down the slope until I crashed straight into a large rock and bounced my head off of it.

I was knocked clean out and had to be taken to the nearest hospital. My parents were away on business so Mr and Mrs Holmes had stayed with me.

It was mortifying. I had a hairline fracture on my cheek and had cut the back of my head, giving myself a concussion and to top it all off I had broken my arm too. Not forgetting the amount of black bruises I had gotten.

I didn't dare to try it after that.

"I know. And I really don't want you to get hurt again so that's why you don't have to if you don't want to." She tells me.

"I'll have a think about it." I offer and by the small smile that tugs at her lips, I know that I made the right choice.

"Well as you know, my parents aren't coming with us this time so it'll just be us, Jared and Nick. Unless you want to invite anyone else?"

I shake my head before responding. "Hello, friendless over here? Besides, I would invite Lexi but she's busy next weekend."

"Oh." She says, her voice wavering slightly. "Well that's a shame. If any girl knows how to party it's that one."