XIV

Chapter 14.

The  following morning, I was running significantly late.

Something like this never, ever happened to me. I don't think I've ever been late for anything in my entire life and yet this morning, I managed to sleep through two alarms, five missed calls from Katie, one from Jared, and seven texts from Lexi as well as the construction site happening in my kitchen!

I was overwhelmed and distracted. I'd gotten no sleep last night and only managed to fall asleep early in the morning because my head wouldn't stop replaying the kiss from yesterday.

It made my toes curl and my heart warm, even if it was innocent. It had wrecked my brain.

Unlike last time, I wasn't worried about the consequences if my father found out, no I was more worried about my own feelings and the fact that Jared is so off limits it's not even funny!

Katie and I had a pact, one we had made when we were kids. Siblings were absolutely out of the question - even if mine happened to be a girl because even though Katie didn't swing that way, how were we to know?

And I'd crossed that line yesterday, again, and it was making me sick with worry. If she found out, would she hate me?

I needed to put a stop to whatever was going on in my head. I had to learn to control myself around him and stay far away.

He wasn't good for me and besides, even if I wanted something to happen between us, it wouldn't go anywhere. It couldn't.

I was almost two hours late for school by the time that I was ready, dressed in light washed jeans, a white cami and knitted cardigan.

Apparently, I'd even slept through Greta calling for me, she was cleaning the hallway when I all but sprinted in there

"You look beautiful, child." She told me with a soft look in her eye, but it soon disappeared as she began smacking my ass with the cloth in her hand. "But if you start kissing boys on the front porch at least make sure no one is looking!"

I froze, my mouth dropping open in shock and embarrassment as I gaped at her. She had a knowing look in her eye but didn't look mad. In fact, she had an earsplitting grin on her face that confused the hell out of me.

"I- I didn't - oh my god." I stutter helplessly, covering my face with my hands. I was absolutely mortified, how am I going to explain this one?

Greta chuckles and pulls my hands away from my face. "Don't fret. Eínai kalós. Mou arései."

I grin sheepishly, butterflies fluttering in my stomach. "Yeah, I think I like him too."

"Now, shouldn't you be getting to school?" Greta accused, changing the subject. I let out the breath I didn't even realise i was holding and nodded just as someone else spoke.