XIII

Chapter 13.

"I had a really good time this afternoon." I tell Jared as the door closes behind us.

The late afternoon chill bites at my skin and I huddle in my flannel further to keep warm. Chatter from down the street can be heard.

Jared sends me a soft smile. "Yeah, me too."

It's about four o'clock now and Jared needs to head back in time for hockey practice at five. We'd spent a good two hours just sitting and talking with George, which was really nice.

I learnt a lot about Jared this afternoon. He makes sure to drop by and see George at least twice a week and the new porch wood from before? Courtesy of Jared. He acts like George's handyman and goes around fixing anything that George needs fixing.

He always makes sure that George has everything he needs and does his grocery shopping for him too. Sometimes he even takes Doc out for walks.

I can't deny that my heart hasn't warmed up to him a little after this.

I learnt quite a bit about George too. He's lived in his little house for thirty years now, after he and his wife moved to America from England. His wife, Stella, was originally from here but moved as a child, and eventually when they were thirty they decided to come back.

George has been married to Stella since they were both eighteen, but sadly she passed away three years ago from breast cancer.

George talks about Stella like she's still here and I love it. Hearing him talk about her makes you feel like you're getting to know her yourself.

He also has a really funny sense of humour. He spent the majority of the afternoon embarrassing Jared and picking on him but Jared gave it right back. Further reminding me how comfortable they are with each other. It's like a grandparent and grandson relationship.

We talked about Hockey, about how Jared has a few games coming up soon and how he's been trying to convince George to come to one. George doesn't think he should because of the large crowd, though and because of Doc. But I offered to sit with him if he ever changes his mind, he seemed to like that.

George basically threatened Jared that if he didn't bring me back for another visit, he would take his knee caps with the axe out back.

So now I have a breakfast date next Saturday.

I know that Jared and I haven't always seen eye to eye and that up until recently things have always been pretty hostile between us...but that was because I thought he was nothing more than a jerk who only cares about himself.

Seeing this side of him, taking care of a blind man and his dog because he's all alone, letting me see this part of his life, it's really opened my eyes on the kind of person Jared might be.

Obviously that's not saying that I'm just going to suddenly forget everything but it's a really good start.

We climb back into the truck and this time, Jared tells me to put his Bon Iver cassette in.

"Why did you bring me here?" I eventually asked. It'd been bothering me since we walked in George's house.

"I guess I wanted you to know that I never hated you. Even if you think I do." He told me, referring to my words from earlier.